Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Flush Mounting Tweeter???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:12 PM
PHREDD71
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Flush Mounting Tweeter???

I am looking to try and flush mount some Alpine tweeters on the fairing. My concern is that when I try and cut the 2" hole for them, I will cut into the attachment point for the fairing brace. See attached photo.

I have seen some bikes with the tweeters flush mounted so I am wondering if I can make the cut and avoid hitting the attachment point. It looks like I can, but it would be very close.

The other option is to just surface mount the tweeters in the same spot, but I would rather have them not sitting out so far.

The other other option is to flush mount them on the lower sections of the fairing, but I would think that this would not let you hear them very well.

Looking for input. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Question on Flush Mounting Tweeter???-photo.jpg  
Old 05-13-2009, 05:10 PM
anicely
Cruiser

I moved my fuel gauge down, to where the ambient air temp was. Removed the air temp gauge and the battery gauge and flush mounted tweeters in the place of the two upper gauges. Tweeters fit well and are at a good listening position. No drilling, and the process is reverseable. Good Luck, hope this helps.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:30 PM
bbarn
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the same as anicely and the fact that it is reverseable made it nice.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to check out the Hogtunes pod tweeters to see how they did it. They are mounted on top of the dash. I'm surprised they make such a difference, so you're on the right track adding tweeters.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:40 PM
tcp
Cruiser

How do you wire them in to the existing system? I have a set I have been thinking of mounting but not sure wether to put them in series with the front speakers or parallel.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:49 PM
PHREDD71
Cruiser

Originally Posted by anicely
I moved my fuel gauge down, to where the ambient air temp was. Removed the air temp gauge and the battery gauge and flush mounted tweeters in the place of the two upper gauges. Tweeters fit well and are at a good listening position. No drilling, and the process is reverseable. Good Luck, hope this helps.
I have the oil temp gauge, so I do not want to remove any gauges. Thanks for the idea though.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:50 PM
PHREDD71
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Taterdog
You might want to check out the Hogtunes pod tweeters to see how they did it. They are mounted on top of the dash. I'm surprised they make such a difference, so you're on the right track adding tweeters.
I looked at the tweeter pods, but I wanted something with a smaller footprint on the dash. Thanks for the idea.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:54 PM
bjryman
Tourer

I installed the HogTunes speakers and amp last week and now am thinking about adding the tweeter pod.

Trouble is, it looks like I'll have to give up my triple pocket windshield pouch if I do?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 PM
PHREDD71
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tcp
How do you wire them in to the existing system? I have a set I have been thinking of mounting but not sure wether to put them in series with the front speakers or parallel.
Go into the DIY Save Money Sticky post. Message 91 from PEZ goes over the details. Here is a link as well to the post:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/2627402-post91.html

Old 05-13-2009, 07:36 PM
shvlrydr
Cruiser

i ran into the same problem...didn't want to give up the gauges or the T-bag windshield bag and didn't want to cut into the fairing support. i went the surface mount way, not exactly what i wanted but not that bad. did have to drill two holes in the inner fairing, one for mount screw and another for the wire. wired them parallel and they sound pretty good.

Question on Flush Mounting Tweeter???-dash-2.jpg

Quick Reply: Question on Flush Mounting Tweeter???