Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder cut out on tour models

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds about right! Afterwords, it should activate on it's own when the conditions are right. The system is pretty seamless so don't be surprised if you don't notice it for a while.

Good luck,
Steve R.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:56 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the fuel pack and i turned it on yesterday and when i was sitting a rather long traffic light i hope it was on cause it started vib.more than usual and sitting there idling it sounded more like a evo/carb motor out the exhaust potato potato

Old 05-14-2009, 10:01 AM
08UltraRider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mphamrick
You know I have read this several times in the forum and even looked it up in my manual which says nothing about it.
Page 140 in the 2008 Touring Models manual.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:32 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sca13
Thanks for the information everyone !!! My guess right now is that maybe my system is off, I know if I twist the throttle forward I currently get the RED cruise light. If Carlo is correct then it sound like I need to twist the throttle forward until I get the RED cruise light and then back off with the throttle to the neutral position and then take the throttle forward again until I get the GREEN cruise light and at that point my cyclinder cut out system should be automatic. Do I have that right ??
Yes you got that right. Has to be left with the green light then system will actavate. Just let the bike run for a while in your drive way it will shut down the rear cylinder. I did it yesterday engine will sound like its running on one cylinder. Burp the throttle it will cone to life.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:26 AM
ctyrrell2
2nd Gear

Yes that is right It will stay on unless you turn it back to red Leave it green for the system to work for yoy.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:32 AM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dealer told me it is controlled by the computer and you can play all you want but you don't activate it. My 2010 has done it several times in the first 2 weeks riding in the hotest weather. Since I added new exhaust I have not noticed it at all. Don't know if it's the weather not as hot or the pipes.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 AM
BigD64
Tourer

The rear cylinder will kick off if activated and the bike reaches a certain temperature. Since putting in a PC-V my bike hasn't run hot enough to kick on. You will get a very distinctive PUTT PUTT PUTT sound and a slight odor. Just easing on the throttle should reengage the rear cylinder you shouldn't have to blip the throttle.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:48 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After getting Dresser Duals, the Heavy Breather and a SEST, mine doesn't kick in nearly as often as it did when stock.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:52 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by All Aces
Dealer told me it is controlled by the computer and you can play all you want but you don't activate it. My 2010 has done it several times in the first 2 weeks riding in the hotest weather. Since I added new exhaust I have not noticed it at all. Don't know if it's the weather not as hot or the pipes.
You're right, you can't make it shut off the rear cyl, but what you're doing is activating or deactivating the system so the computer CAN/CANNOT shut it off when certain criteria are met.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:20 AM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Also once the critical engine temperature is reached, the cylinder will only shut off at idle. Twisting the throttle even just a little bit will override the cut off and the cylinder will fire again

Quick Reply: Cylinder cut out on tour models