Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder cut out on tour models

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:33 PM
sca13
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder cut out on tour models

Does anyone know for sure when and how the cylinder cut out is activated on the 09 tour models ? What I read in the manual and what they told me in my local HD service dept are different, and to top it all of I can't seem to get it to activate anyway I try?

Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 PM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never noticed mine cutting out. I did a charity ride the other day, but even sitting still I couldn't tell the difference.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:45 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Trust the manual.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:10 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ignition on Twist throttle grip Forward hold for 5 sec cruse control light will turn on red system off release turn forward again hold 5 sec light will go on green system on do it again light on red system off. If your bike has been remapped for a stage 1 system might not work with grip has to be reprogramed. Now if you left it with a green light system is set to shut rear cylinder down when bike is running hot sitting still.

Last edited by carlo; 05-13-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hover
Trust the manual.
+1

The manual will show you how to turn the system on or off. Once it's active, it will automatically shut down the rear cylinder when the engine gets hot enough as long as the bike is not moving. I don't think the rider can force it to activate on purpose. They may have been able to on the 08's but my 09 doesn't seem to work that way. I've had mine activate maybe a half dozen times so far, usually sitting at a traffic light. The main thing you'll notice is a distinct change in the cadence of the engine since you're now sitting on what amounts to a single cylinder engine. If you touch the throttle, any at all, the rear cylinder will kick back in. The system works very well and the transition back to two cylinder operation is very smooth and seamless. I'm impressed with the implementation of the system. I just wish it wasn't needed. I'm sure I'll be making the usual mods that many folks here have done to help the engine run a bit cooler.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know I have read this several times in the forum and even looked it up in my manual which says nothing about it. But I have engaged it by the throttle and seems to set it's self up. It has not happened yet though.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:15 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carlo
Ignition on Twist throttle grip Forward hold for 5 sec cruse control light will turn on red system off release turn forward again hold 5 sec light will go on green system on do it again light on red system off. If your bike has been remapped for a stage 1 system might not work with grip has to be reprogramed. Now if you left it with a green light system is set to shut rear cylinder down when bike is running hot sitting still.
Not true - will work if u have the stage 1...
prior 2007 models have to go to dealer to activate option. I think mid 2008 if u have the fly by wire throttle - then it can be done as per above procedure and looking at cruise light. Red = off, Green= active.
you will hear exhaust putt-putt at a lower tone when its on one cylinder. only happens if u are stopped and throttle is at 0 position. meaning at idle 950-1000rpm. if u play with throttle while u are at a stop - it wont kick in.

i have stage 1 - no problems.. just when ready to head off again - need to pump several times to make cylinder kick in before letting clutch off or it can stall on you.. once u used to it - it all 2nd nature.
Just added a PCV and went riding today - not to warm out yet - so wondering if it will kick in with PCV...

Old 05-13-2009, 10:20 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carlo
Not true - will work if u have the stage 1...
prior 2007 models have to go to dealer to activate option. I think mid 2008 if u have the fly by wire throttle - then it can be done as per above procedure and looking at cruise light. Red = off, Green= active.
you will hear exhaust putt-putt at a lower tone when its on one cylinder. only happens if u are stopped and throttle is at 0 position. meaning at idle 950-1000rpm. if u play with throttle while u are at a stop - it wont kick in.

i have stage 1 - no problems.. just when ready to head off again - need to pump several times to make cylinder kick in before letting clutch off or it can stall on you.. once u used to it - it all 2nd nature.
Just added a PCV and went riding today - not to warm out yet - so wondering if it will kick in with PCV...

Old 05-13-2009, 11:11 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALWAYS TRUST THE MANUAL!

Mike

Old 05-14-2009, 09:06 AM
sca13
Stage IV

Thanks for the information everyone !!! My guess right now is that maybe my system is off, I know if I twist the throttle forward I currently get the RED cruise light. If Carlo is correct then it sound like I need to twist the throttle forward until I get the RED cruise light and then back off with the throttle to the neutral position and then take the throttle forward again until I get the GREEN cruise light and at that point my cyclinder cut out system should be automatic. Do I have that right ??

Quick Reply: Cylinder cut out on tour models