Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TBW failed and I am still alive

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:06 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts
Default TBW failed and I am still alive

For all you out there that are against the throttle by wire, mine failed. The scary part....if the check engine light had not come on, I probably wouldn't have even known.

The check engine light fluttered a little when I started it twice but then went out. The third time, it came on and stayed on. Other than that, the bike ran fine. I checked the codes, and got three. One for limited performance mode, one for twist grip low/open, and one for twist grip corellation. I started the bike again to ride it to the dealer for repair and the light went out. When I got there, it took them longer to do the paperwork than it did the repair. I was out in no time.

So for all you TBW haters or worriers out there, yes they fail. Mine did at 35,181 miles. But I was still able to put well over a 100 miles on the bike with the check engine light on at full highway speeds with only a minor change in performance. Try to do that with a broken cable. There was no erratic throttle on it's own, the throttle didn't run away on it's own. As I sad, had the light not come on, I probably wouldn't have noticed. It didn't kill me like peolpe have commented on in the past.

The bike is stilll under warranty, but had it not been, the part is $90 and less than an hour to change. Not sure how much a set of throttle cables are, but I bet they cost more and take longer to change.

I'm still very happy with the TBW. I just hope the replacement lasts longer than 35,000 miles but it's nice to know it wont leave me stranded.

I'm sure others have had total failures but I think mine is going to be a typical experience when they just wear out.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:16 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
For all you out there that are against the throttle by wire, mine failed. The scary part....if the check engine light had not come on, I probably wouldn't have even known.

The check engine light fluttered a little when I started it twice but then went out. The third time, it came on and stayed on. Other than that, the bike ran fine. I checked the codes, and got three. One for limited performance mode, one for twist grip low/open, and one for twist grip corellation. I started the bike again to ride it to the dealer for repair and the light went out. When I got there, it took them longer to do the paperwork than it did the repair. I was out in no time.

So for all you TBW haters or worriers out there, yes they fail. Mine did at 35,181 miles. But I was still able to put well over a 100 miles on the bike with the check engine light on at full highway speeds with only a minor change in performance. Try to do that with a broken cable. There was no erratic throttle on it's own, the throttle didn't run away on it's own. As I sad, had the light not come on, I probably wouldn't have noticed. It didn't kill me like peolpe have commented on in the past.

The bike is stilll under warranty, but had it not been, the part is $90 and less than an hour to change. Not sure how much a set of throttle cables are, but I bet they cost more and take longer to change.

I'm still very happy with the TBW. I just hope the replacement lasts longer than 35,000 miles but it's nice to know it wont leave me stranded.

I'm sure others have had total failures but I think mine is going to be a typical experience when they just wear out.
The reason that it works, unlike a mechanical cable, is that there is a backup set of wires and sensor that are built into the unit. It is redundant. The chances of both of them failing is very slim.

With a mechanical cable, you have one shot. When it breaks, you're done unless you move the return cable over.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Tat2dGooch
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very interesting

Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Thanks for the heads up, I like the system so far on my 09

Old 05-26-2009, 07:48 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

At least you weren't stranded. I've wondered what REALLY happens if the TBW goes out. Of course the write-ups say that they have covered everything and that no one will get hurt but ................

Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 PM
2ForTheRoad
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Refreshing to hear something something good about TBW. I like how it works, zero complaints.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is nice to hear a good ending to a failure.Glad all went well for ya. Helps to restore my faith
Thanks for the post

Old 05-27-2009, 07:34 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Love my TBW as compared to cables. Gravy to work with.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:48 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

That's awfully good to hear cuz I read one story a while ago that this person couldn't stop or cut-off the engine which left me skeptical and wary of TBW. However, I'm thinking positively and moving on...

Restoring confidence here,

Thorey

Old 05-27-2009, 07:55 AM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be changing out my bars in the next couple of days, will find out just how easy it is to mess the TBW up, lol. I actually read the manual last night in prep for the job, that is something I have not done in a very long time!

I do like the way the bike responds with it, 7k and no issues yet.

Quick Reply: TBW failed and I am still alive