Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 Ultra Fuel Filter Replacement How-To w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 0204665J
Great write up and pictures. Does anyone know the recomended time to change. I have not seen anything on it.l....
My manual says 25k. I'm going to stretch that some unless someone gives good evidence it's really necessary. Harley's say-so doesn't decide it for me. In the past, they have specified some other service intervals that IMHO were overkill--e.g., clutch adjustment, spark plugs, tranny fluid.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:44 PM
MR VTX
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, so I tore into the fuel filter. I kept trying to figure out the best way to open it up. Thought about a can opener, but then I got the old hacksaw out. I started cutting it real close to the edge on the side where the Part # is marked. I cut a little too far down and hit the top of the actual filter inside, so there were some metal shavings inside once I got it open. I also used metal snips to help peel back the lid. Surprisingly, the filter was pretty clean. I wiped it all the way around with a white paper towel to see what would come off...not much came off...just a little grime...as to be expected.

Based on what I saw, I would say an extended amount of mileage could be achieved before replacing it. As stated before, she has 36K & change on the bike right now. We did buy the bike used, but it only had 7,700 miles on it when we got it. So I doubt that the filter had been changed at all.

Anyway, here are some pictures...

Name:  DSCN5830.jpg
Views: 7577
Size:  148.9 KB

Name:  DSCN5835.jpg
Views: 7613
Size:  144.0 KB

Name:  DSCN5836.jpg
Views: 7666
Size:  155.5 KB

Name:  DSCN5838.jpg
Views: 7662
Size:  95.1 KB

Name:  DSCN5845.jpg
Views: 7511
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  DSCN5847.jpg
Views: 7644
Size:  115.2 KB

Name:  DSCN5848.jpg
Views: 7681
Size:  136.9 KB

Name:  DSCN5849.jpg
Views: 7680
Size:  117.5 KB

Name:  DSCN5850.jpg
Views: 7649
Size:  123.6 KB

Old 06-09-2009, 05:43 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior

Thanks VTX. Those pics agree pretty well with the clean condition of my filter screen on my carbed 02 Dyna when I cleaned it at 20k and 40k. (Much easier job than the fuel canister on the EFI models.)

You've provided a real service. Hope to hear more from you in the future.

Last edited by Uncle Scrooge; 06-09-2009 at 05:45 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:28 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Great write up. I would suggest getting a cross-over quick connect for the front of your tank. Herko (John Wadsworth) sells an awesome little unit. We just installed one on Petemac's bike this past weekend during the cam job.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:25 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, I'm due to replace my fuel filter and this crossover quick disconnect will really help.

Originally Posted by dawg
Great write up. I would suggest getting a cross-over quick connect for the front of your tank. Herko (John Wadsworth) sells an awesome little unit. We just installed one on Petemac's bike this past weekend during the cam job.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Great write-up and pics. I did mine recently when I had the bike disassembled for paint and it was the only difficult part of my entire paint project. Cutting the clamp on the convoluted tubing and not dropping anything into the tank was less of a concern since the tank was coming off the bike for paint. If I'd done this as a service procedure with the tank staying on the bike, I'd have covered the gas tank opening with shop towels to prevent the clamp piece cut-off from falling into the tank.

Also, I read and re-read the HD service manual's directions about holding the pump, rotating the rest of the Rube Goldfarb pod assembly, and tilting it at a 45* angle and still struggled to remove and reinstall it.

Thanks, again, for a great write-up. Video of the pod removal and reinstall would be the only thing I see to improve upon what you've provided.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

this deserves a sticky!!!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 04:20 PM
MR VTX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dawg
I'll definitely look into that. I forgot to mention that since the kit only included two new hose clamps, I had to use regular screw down clamps in a few areas. One I had to use for the long convoluted tube inside the tank, and the other I used to reconnect the crossover tube on the outside of the tank. The two included hose clamps were used when I replaced the smaller section of convoluted tubing between the fuel filter and fuel pump.

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Great write-up and pics. I did mine recently when I had the bike disassembled for paint and it was the only difficult part of my entire paint project. Cutting the clamp on the convoluted tubing and not dropping anything into the tank was less of a concern since the tank was coming off the bike for paint. If I'd done this as a service procedure with the tank staying on the bike, I'd have covered the gas tank opening with shop towels to prevent the clamp piece cut-off from falling into the tank.

Also, I read and re-read the HD service manual's directions about holding the pump, rotating the rest of the Rube Goldfarb pod assembly, and tilting it at a 45* angle and still struggled to remove and reinstall it.

Thanks, again, for a great write-up. Video of the pod removal and reinstall would be the only thing I see to improve upon what you've provided.
Yeah, in hindsight, I should've covered the tank. However, I was very careful in how I cut that hose clamp off. I did not simply cut the dimpled part right off...I kind of used the side cutters as scissors to carefully cut the "bubbled" part of the hose clamp. Then I could bend it back and remove the whole clamp in one piece.

And, yes, getting that whole piece to "unlock" from the 90-degree angle it's in while inside the tank was tricky. The easiest way I figured out how to do it was when I lifted the canopy from off the tank, I used a long-handled flat screwdriver to push down on the top of the fuel pump. This releases the spring-loaded mechanical lock, so that the canopy can be tilted counterclockwise back to the left until it stops rotating. Then it's just gently coaxing it out without bending the float arm for the fuel level float.

I really need to invest in a new digital camcorder...videos would really be nice.

Thanks for the props and glad I could help out.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:21 PM
aclass
Road Captain

Really appreciate the write up VTX, I'm making a parts list to do the brides Road King next week. Your write up is "aclass"

Reckon a fellow could skip the tank draining if the fuel level was 1/4 full or so???

Old 07-13-2009, 11:02 AM
MR VTX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aclass
Really appreciate the write up VTX, I'm making a parts list to do the brides Road King next week. Your write up is "aclass"

Reckon a fellow could skip the tank draining if the fuel level was 1/4 full or so???
Thanks! Yeah, I guess the tank draining could be skipped, as long as the plugged hose doesn't leak like mine did. Next time I change it, I'll have a better plug for the tube. You'll have to be quick about getting the plugged hose on there...the gas spits out quickly. Make sure you have plenty of clean rags to cleanup the spilled gas.

Quick Reply: '06 Ultra Fuel Filter Replacement How-To w/ Pics