Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Is the difference between a FLHR Road King and a FLHT Electra Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:17 AM
MrHog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Is the difference between a FLHR Road King and a FLHT Electra Glide?

What Is the difference between a FLHR Road King and a FLHT Electra Glide? They both have hard bags. Same frame. I know the FLHT has a fairing and the FLHR has a detachable windshield. Also, the console on the tank is different. Anything else?

Old 07-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The engine on the RK is black and Chrome, the FLHT is unpainted and unchromed.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:25 AM
allaco
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default flhr vs flht

if you take a look 1 place they are different is in the engine the flht usually has the all silver motor and the flhr will have the black and silver motor and usually a little more chrome. depends what you like

Old 07-11-2009, 07:51 AM
cmhfguy
Road Master

Deleted... got told (in bold) that I was referencing the wrong bike.

Last edited by cmhfguy; 07-11-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

He's asking about a FLHT, not an FLHTC.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Chumplestilskin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The seat, saddlebag guards, fairing and I think fender trim. Also not sure if the RK has the passenger grab bar?

Old 07-11-2009, 10:20 AM
MrHog
Road Captain

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. My first question leads to my next question, or should I say problem. My '05 Road King has the Sundowner Deep bucket 2up seat. I got a hold of a Cyclepedic 2up seat that was used twice for dirt cheap. Great looking seat and very comfortable. Only issue is I was told it would work on '97-'07 touring models. When I received the seat from UPS yesterday, I put it on my bike, but the front of the seat extends over the bottom edge of the tank. The front bracket doesn't latch because the fender console is in the way. The front of the Sundowner extends to the bottom edge of the tank. I believe the new seat is meant for an Electra Glide by comparing pictures of the FLHR and FLHT. Tthe way the front of the seats are designed to extend over the tank on FLHT vs. up to the bottom of the tank on the FLHR. This may not make since, but if you compared the two bikes side by side, you would notice the difference in the 2 seats and the way they meet the tank. Anyone have any suggestions before I get rid of a great looking and comfortable seat?

Old 07-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Chumplestilskin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm..never had a RK but...I have a custom seat for my EG (that I don't use) that needed this little leather insert to take up the extra room between the front leading edge of the seat and the fuel tank console. Sounds like you have the reverse issue...?

Old 07-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you really like that new seat that much then change the tank panel for the shorter one so the seat will mate properly.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:02 PM
CrashX
Tourer

Yeah, sounds right, the RK console is longer than the e-glides. I know they make a panel to cover or extend the condole on the e-glide if you runa road king seat, don't know if they make a shorter console for the RK for the opposite.

Quick Reply: What Is the difference between a FLHR Road King and a FLHT Electra Glide?