Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS warning!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:41 AM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm not "skilled" enough and thus I think the ABS option is worth it. But I ask why do LEO's swear by them? They surely ride enough that they would know whether something is worth having or not. Maybe there was something wrong with your system and you might want to have the dealer check it out but it you had just grabbed a handful of brake would you have still hit the car in front of you or worst yet high sided?

I'm glad you are not hurt!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Javawave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure on the bike, but on trucks and trailers the ABS does not become "active" after a complete stop until like 6 mph.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:47 AM
CrackOfDawn
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by htc
In that 10 feet the ABS did lock my front wheel 4 times, 4 inch at a time (found 4 skid marks each 4"). So in that 10 feet I had breaks only 10 per-sent of the length, rest of the time ABS was thinking!!! It felt like I didn't have breaks at all!!!!
Shi!ty incident for sure. Never want to see a bike get bunged up and I take it you did not go down.

If a car was just stopped, and moved about 10 feet, he could not have gone more than, what, a couple mph? What kind of speed were you doing and how close behind the stopped car were you that it only moved 10 feet and then you had get on the binders 10 feet from the car and left 4 tire marks that were distinguishable? I’m just asking, not judging.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:48 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

That sucks, but ABS doesn't work (become active) at speeds that slow.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:50 AM
tmcgeesr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The speed sensor on the wheel is to detect slippage of the wheel. Its my understanding its suppose to work at all speeds.

I agree with the questionable service of "Harley" ABS on a washboard surface. I have experienced that several times. Overall I think its pluses out weigh its minuses.

I've been riding for over 40 years, and I have been riding ABS since the early 80's on BMW's. They went through 3 generations of ABS before they got it right. Apparently Harley is on generation #1.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:00 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Abs

Originally Posted by performanceisthekey
Sounds like a failure to me. My ABS just stops with no skids. Were there any traction affecting components? such as oil or water? I've never had my ABS do what you're describing.
The only way the ABS works is the wheel sensors detect the wheel is not turning (Skidding). At slow speeds the sensors have to wait longer for the wheel to turn past the sensors, thus the wheel can be locked up longer than at high speeds.

Harley doesn't have as much resolution on their ABS as other manufacturers do (BMW), which is to say the wheel has to turn further before it signals the ABS control. So the slow speed skid marks make sense to me.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:03 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear about your fender and glad you are alright. As far as ABS on a bike, I do not have it on mine. Having riden Panheads and Shovels with shoe brakes for years, I have learned from experience about how to stop a bike in a stop fast situation. Even ABS brakes require a learning curve I'm sure and you have probably learned from this experience, which is the best thing to come out of this.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:33 AM
MNrider
Tourer

Sounds like yous is defective. Abs saved my front fender once already. Always be cautious of the person in front of you. Never ever "assume" they are going to do what you think they are going to do.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 AM
rides99fatboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
The only way the ABS works is the wheel sensors detect the wheel is not turning (Skidding). At slow speeds the sensors have to wait longer for the wheel to turn past the sensors, thus the wheel can be locked up longer than at high speeds.

Harley doesn't have as much resolution on their ABS as other manufacturers do (BMW), which is to say the wheel has to turn further before it signals the ABS control. So the slow speed skid marks make sense to me.
I don't have ABS on my bike, but I noticed a difference on the rotors vs. my 2005 bike. I assume the "button" on the rotor is the what the sensor in the caliper detects. As stated, HD doesn't have as much resolution vs others. So based on that, figure one rotation of a wheel that is 24" tall you would travel 6.28 feet before the button would pass the sensor again.

IMO, that sort of supports the argument that ABS doesn't work at low speeds since the computer isn't getting enough input to make a decision on whether the wheel is locked up. If HTC was only 10 feet from the bumper, at most the button would have passed the sensor 2 times.

So is the sensor looking at the wheels or the rotors?

Last edited by rides99fatboy; 07-30-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I've gotten better with the wash board surfaces in that I apply less pressure to kick off the ABS, but I do agree that it still requires a longer distance to make the stop. I think the ABS is on all the time because I had a situation in the parking lot where they kicked on crossing the painted parking lot divider. It didn't skid, but I know the ABS kicked on. I was impressed actually. I sure have more respect for painted lines..

I used to practice emergency stops by going all the way to the ABS for a maximum stop. I've since learned that on most bikes, including other brands, that the ABS give you about between 80 to 90% braking to prevent the wheels from repeatedly locking. So learning to brake with in 95% of full braking range gives you the best braking. The ABS is for that panic situations where you lock up (like on painted surfaces or sand) and that is why the police like them as well.

I'm not sure there is a lot we can do about the wash board effect other than anticipate it as best we can.

Its kind of funny, like the folks who say a water cooled engine is going to happen on all Harleys, I've heard the government fully intends for all motorcycles to eventually have ABS.

Beary

Quick Reply: ABS warning!!!