Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cell phones on bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I have to agree that talking on a cell phone, especially a hand held one while riding is asking for an accident, but I disagree that a gps is more dangerous than riding with a map.

Even if I didn't have audio directions, the split second it takes to look at the screen is no more distracting than any other thing on or beside the road that catches your eye when you ride. I have a hard time believing that anyone tunnel visions themselves to the road in front of them on a long ride.

I actually see it as much less of a distraction when you know the general direction you are going after studying the map and then when you are riding, you don't have to be looking for every road sign and trying to recall exactly which road number or name it is you are looking for and wondering exactly how far up ahead it is or if you just passed it.

When navigating by gps, if you see a trail you want to try, take it. When you get tired of it, the gps will steer you back on your path without stopping to get the map back out.

Nothing at all wrong with navigating by map or just wandering if that's what you want to do. I did tens of thousands of miles of traveling that way on and off the road before I started using gps. It worked out just fine, but I enjoy using gps more and it certainly is not a distraction. It helps me concentrate on the ride and enjoying the scenery.

Dennis

Old 08-10-2009, 10:35 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn W
Seems your more upset that he was on the wrong kind of bike?
Oh not at all...everyone should have one of these...I am sure it will cut down on a lot of injuries...specially if you can take it with you when you go over the bars....

Old 08-10-2009, 09:45 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

Now I'm convinced; no GPS on my motorcycle! I've been toying with the idea for a couple of years but I'm a bit chintzy spending money on a gadget. Okay, so my speedometer reads 3 mph fast at 75. I know it does, and that is good enough for me. And I can still see well enough to read road signs and maps.

As for my cell phone, well, the voice mail announcement tells the caller I can't answer because I'm on the motorcycle. Good enuff!

Old 08-10-2009, 09:53 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Cell phones and bikes do NOT belong, even on Autocom... sorry,, just my thougths...

However, Like above, I plead guilty to GPS... I put it off for Years, then got one for our Coast to Coast... I like it for reason beyond the mapping... When we pull into an area and want a Motel... I can bring up all the motels in our area and have all the phone numbers right there - great for making the calls (Yes, I am parked)... Next... when it comes time to eat and for those that ride with the Wife... They like to have choices... Yes, we can eat anywhere but not them...lol... agian... the GPS will bring up all our choices... I tell her to pick or she can search for one she wants... Makes life so much easier... Trying to read/look at a GPS while in traffic is just asking for trouble.. but they do have a place - at least for me...

One last good reason... when the road ahead is a parking lot.... GPS will give me choices...

BTW - I am still old school enough, I carry paper maps... I like to see it all..

Old 08-10-2009, 10:32 PM
CW4_131A
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why, tell me why would anyone buy a device that would let me answer a call while I'm riding?