Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Hot with K&N

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:16 PM
greginNH
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Hot with K&N

I recently replaced my stock air filter with a K&N element (designed to replace original filter). The bike seems to be running much hotter now.

Maybe it has just been weather lately, but is sure seems like my '09 ECG is running much hotter with the K&N.

The bike is bone stock.

Has anyone experience this problem?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:24 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

unless you have some sort of fuel management device, your bike is now running dangerously lean is why its hot. more air in=needs more fuel.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:27 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 637 Likes on 508 Posts

when u put more air in u need to put more fuel in, many say the stock ecm will correct the afr (air fuel ratio)however this will only happen when the ecm is running in the closed loop mode when ithe ecm is in open loop your running lean look into a tuner i wont open a big can of worms by recommending one ill just say read lots of threads on tunning.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Greg, you are definitely running much leaner now since the system is moving significantly more air in the mix. As a minimum, you will want the Stage 1 download from HD (about $145) or a third party fuel management system (PCIII, etc for about $250 or more). It's amazing that the K&N will make that much difference, but I experienced the exact thing on my '07 Road King a couple of years ago - the change made the engine run so much hotter that I was worried I wouldn't make it home. The download fixed it just fine.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:25 PM
tlmitchell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by greginNH
I recently replaced my stock air filter with a K&N element (designed to replace original filter). The bike seems to be running much hotter now.

Maybe it has just been weather lately, but is sure seems like my '09 ECG is running much hotter with the K&N.

The bike is bone stock.

Has anyone experience this problem?
As others mentioned, increasing the airflow leans your mixture. Fuel is the number 1 source of cooling in air cooled engines, there's where your increased heat is coming from.

The '07 & up closed loop ECMs feature Adaptive Learning. The Adaptive Fuel settings can be reset by a dealer using the Digital Technician II compensating for the increased air flow and restoring your original A/F ratios. Don't let them talk you into a Stage 1 download... the Stage 1 calibrations no longer produce any changes in A/F mixtures, they only raise the rev limiter to 6200 and that's it.

TL

Old 08-24-2009, 06:51 AM
greginNH
Road Master
Default Thanks for all the responses on this

I will put stock filter element back on the bike and wait to do a Stage 1 updgrade over the winter.

This is a bit disappointing as K&N (and my dealer) sold this with the representation that this was a stock filter element replacement - with no recalibration required. The stock number is HD-1508.

Lesson learned.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:24 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my 2 cents worth but I don't think changing to a replacement K&N (not high flow back etc.) is causing your heat problems. You may be getting a little better airflow but not enough to cause a real heat issue. If you go to a complete high flow system you will definitely need a tuner !!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:43 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,935 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Originally Posted by OG1
unless you have some sort of fuel management device, your bike is now running dangerously lean is why its hot. more air in=needs more fuel.
Also, consider putting some more free flowing pipes to let it breathe a bit better with the a/f and a fule management device. Pay that Harley tax!

Old 08-24-2009, 12:22 PM
medic1555
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just called my local HD service dept. They refuse to consider doing anything other than a Stage 1 download (to the tune of $200). I'm not 100% convinced it's worth $280 for the K&N and HD download. I may just stick with stock. Anyone want to buy my K&N?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:26 PM
greginNH
Road Master

Originally Posted by Peppa1
Just my 2 cents worth but I don't think changing to a replacement K&N (not high flow back etc.) is causing your heat problems. You may be getting a little better airflow but not enough to cause a real heat issue. If you go to a complete high flow system you will definitely need a tuner !!
That was my assumption as well but I guess I was wrong.

Quick Reply: Running Hot with K&N