Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip on question

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:30 AM
phatmattxx90
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have hooker tuned flow slip ons sound great nice rumble to theem when your on it. Plus i only paid $169 bucks for them brand new in the box from hooker

Old 09-08-2009, 11:39 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with Rod, I have em' and they sound great!!! +1

Old 09-08-2009, 11:48 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking531
My questions is around a replacement for the slip-ons. When I had the higher lift gear drive and dual head pipes installed, I left the SE mufflers on as I liked the sound, BUT after the work they are louder and not in a good way. They kind of sound like a real loud marble in a beer can. I dont' like it and it is too loud at highway speed.
If the SE's are too loud I wonder if anything other than stock will help. I had a similar problem with Jackpots after adding SE255 cams recently, and although I don't have the rocks-in-a-can sensation it did raise the DB level up more than I might have liked. I replace the right-side baffle (from 2" to 1.75") and that helped, but it is still louder than stock with the 2" baffle. I consider it acceptable for my taste and I can hear my stereo acceptably while cruising.

I don't know what you're hearing or what you might consider too loud, but I suspect the Jackpots would be louder than your SE's. Whether the marble-sound would remain is a big question.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I have the SuperTrapp SE's on a stage 1 88". Depending on how quiet you want it for the radio, these may be too loud on your motor set up. They are just right on my bike for great HD sound, but I still can hear the radio when cruising. Your's maybe too loud. Maybe.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Rattlecan Ray
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have SuperTrapp SE's...They have a great sound and I don't think they are too loud at all. -a good choice. You can also pick from many different tip options.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:30 PM
roadking531
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
If the SE's are too loud I wonder if anything other than stock will help. I had a similar problem with Jackpots after adding SE255 cams recently, and although I don't have the rocks-in-a-can sensation it did raise the DB level up more than I might have liked. I replace the right-side baffle (from 2" to 1.75") and that helped, but it is still louder than stock with the 2" baffle. I consider it acceptable for my taste and I can hear my stereo acceptably while cruising.

I don't know what you're hearing or what you might consider too loud, but I suspect the Jackpots would be louder than your SE's. Whether the marble-sound would remain is a big question.
Thanks. The tone (i.e. rocks in a can) is really what makes it too loud. The mufflers are not that loud, but the tone and sound makes it a real b**tch. If the volume were the same and it was deeper, that might be OK. It's a crap shoot with mufflers on your ride, because no one has your exact set up.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:32 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

All of the pipes mentioned are good ones. However, I would call around and actually talk to someone about your specific needs. People hear things differently, what may sound fine to me, might sound loud to you, etc. For that reason, I would never buy pipes/mufflers without hearing them in person. Too many choices and an infinite number of differences in bikes.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:33 PM
roadking531
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rattlecan Ray
I also have SuperTrapp SE's...They have a great sound and I don't think they are too loud at all. -a good choice. You can also pick from many different tip options.
I was looking at those, they advertise only 3db above stock.
The supertrapp website says they are the old SE pipes they made for Harley. The one thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is that I am afraid they are the same cans I have but newer. I am worried they will be the same sound with the duals and cam. Does anyone know if they would be the same muffler?

Old 09-08-2009, 03:11 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by gunner11
I'm with Rod, I have em' and they sound great!!! +1

hey gunner, rod, what model of superflows are you using, the max 2 or the newer superflow with replacement baffle? on their website the max sounds deeper

Old 09-08-2009, 03:29 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default slipons

Originally Posted by bmaier
hey gunner, rod, what model of superflows are you using, the max 2 or the newer superflow with replacement baffle? on their website the max sounds deeper
I'm using the Max 2's and love the way they sound, sound like a Harley should.

Quick Reply: Slip on question