Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow, I thought Ducati parts were spendy.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My buddy has a Honda VTX1300 and when he added a back rest and luggage rack it was way more expensive than the equivalent Harley one.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I hear you, brother.

The master cylinder blew on my 748. I figure, hell, it's a Brembo. Must be a rebuild kit. No there isn't. That's the first way they get you - it's all one piece. $200 US for the master. It doesn't even come with a brake switch, fittings, or anything. It took 4 weeks to get to me, so I figured it was shipped on the back of a donkey through the mountains of Sicily.

Changing the timing belts & adjusting the valves, which must be done every 10,000 km's, will get you for $1500.00

It's the same the world over.

Cannon

Old 09-10-2009, 12:24 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
You think $500 is bad? I've spent that in oil changes over the last 30,000 miles (2 1/2 years)! Another $600 in tires! All DIY's too.... At least double that if I had to pay labor.
That's not including the thousands in accessories!
I'm in the process of ripping into my trans - I'm 1 month out of warranty!
It's a money pit - which so far - I'm willing to tolerate?

Do yourself a favor - spend the money on HD's service manual (if you haven't already), and use www.zanottimotor.com or ChicagoHD for your parts, as was stated above.

If it sounds like I'm made of money - I'm not - just an average Joe with a VERY understanding wife!

VERY understanding wife is what you better have.My wife doesn't even like bikes but I guess I'm pretty good at doing my "homework"

Old 09-10-2009, 12:29 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. These things aint cheap. Trust me, your wallet will be much lighter, this is just the start.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:33 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The difference is, there are thousands of harley parts all over the place. All you have to do is look around a bit to find decent prices or discounts on new and used parts. A friend of mine just found out his stator was bad on his rocket III. Stator cost is $480, 10 hours to install because they have to pull the motor to get to it. They gave him a $1500 estimate.

Last edited by carpetride; 09-10-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:33 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a Honda VTX 1300 and I spent more per item for most parts and accessories than I do for my Harley. I cant speak to service as I never had either serviced off warranty. My Ducati 916 was much more expensive to service at the time than a Harley.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:41 PM
canuck pride
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I you can tell yourself that you make double the money that you actually do , It's not that bad. But you got to believe it .

Old 09-10-2009, 12:44 PM
itsjasont
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_Dave
I had a Honda VTX 1300 and I spent more per item for most parts and accessories than I do for my Harley. I cant speak to service as I never had either serviced off warranty. My Ducati 916 was much more expensive to service at the time than a Harley.
Yeah, I can imagine. I did all my own service on my 996. I'll likely do the same with the RKC. I assume the RKC will be easier to work on as an added bonus.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:57 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

eBay is your (and my) friend! Picked up a complete backrest assy with SG back pad complete and ready to mount for $250 among other things!

Old 09-10-2009, 01:03 PM
dklanecky
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the world of Harley Davidson.

Your looking at this all wrong.

Just pretend that the $500 you'll spend a month is going for a Psychiatrist, and no one will even question you.

Matter of fact, get your SO on the bike with you and you'll actually be saving money, since she won;t be spending $500 a month on the Psychiatrist either.

Quick Reply: Wow, I thought Ducati parts were spendy.