Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many close calls a day do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:58 PM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shartflhs
...just the "I have to be in front of you" mentality...
Welcome to the great Northeast. You can be doing 90 in a 65 and some fool will want to get around you to do 95. I see drivers dick with other drivers just to screw with them. The notion of live and let live doesn't apply north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:31 PM
BillHanna
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe a few a month, but most are well anticipated ahead of time -- like others have said, it becomes easy to spot most of them through intuition.

But last Thursday there were three in one short (100 mile) ride. Two tried to change to the passing lane when I was passing them -- I love my loud air-horns, and was ready for them -- both had my suspicions up as I approached them.

Then on a 4-lane state highway, a school bus, loaded with kids pulled out in front of me. I had all I could do to avoid the crash. You just never know.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Whiteduramax
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclonecutting
When I had the sportster, I would have about 1 NDE per day. Since I have been riding the RG, it is down to maybe 1 per week tops. I now believe the Sportster just did not have a big enough profile to be seen easily.
Driving lights! These are the one element that make us stand out. Had VTX (big damn bike) and had to lay it over because the little girl didn't see me. Since I got the RKC I've had more people tell me that my driving lights really stand out and are bright (day time too). When driving at night, I still run with the driving lights instead of the brights.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Not that many......maybe something every 3 or 4 months. Usually a car pulling out in front of me. I try to ride defensively and never ride when in a hurry (if possible). I ride an average of 8K miles a year, not a lot by some others I know, but I do ride.

If I had that many close calls, I'd probably quit riding....something bad would be bound to happen.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:15 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Not that many, but like others said, many years of road travel seems to help. Also, depends on translation of the severity. This morning I crossed the river bridge up here and it was a solid sheet of ice. Didn't even know it until my tour pak almost passed me. Was that a close call? Well, not really in my book, it was just an *** clencher, nothing to write home about, just one of the perils of trying to ride on a day maybe I should have driven. But, now I have a nice (46 degree) ride home.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seem like a couple a month, coud be more but I try to anticipate a lot of them and negate the threat. They ARE out to get us!