Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marbles in coffee can

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 03:56 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by drjggood1
Damn, I knew I forgot something, . Just to clarify. The bike made the sound at idle while it sat it the driveway prior to pulling into garage. Not while I was actually moving. I just heard it after I got off. Stood there for a minute cuz I thought my ears were playing tricks on me. Bike had never rattled like that before. I am gonna fire it up tonight and see if the sound is still there. Hopefully a 1x thing. Thanks again.
Ohhh...that changes things. Definately should NOT be sounding like that at idle. I don't suppose you noticed your oil pressure at the time?

Old 09-15-2009, 03:59 PM
SA315B
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check transmission oil level.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Some lifters have a tendency to kinda collapse on oil that is breaking down and thinning because of high heat...lifters are to hold oil pressure...you will notice if a lifter is starting to go bad, when you start the bike being a cold start but heat index (ambient temp.) is high a lifter can lose pressure and will rattle the push rod/rockers until pressure is built back up in the lifter. So it may be possible that the bike was hot and the lifter was having trouble holding oil pressure because the oil was breaking down. Just a thought...

Old 09-15-2009, 05:04 PM
418S
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Step one would be to check the crankcase oil level? Hydraulic lifters?

Old 09-15-2009, 05:29 PM
drjggood1
Cruiser

thanks again. I will look at all the above. Oil is syn 3. Only has 2000 miles on it. Wouldnt think it would be broken down already?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:59 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be related to an exhaust issue. Check your mufflers to make sure they are clamped tight and your heat sheilds are not loose. If those are good then check that a baffle has not come loose.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:02 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 637 Likes on 508 Posts

heat causes a lot of wierd stuff, and when checking the exaust look at the saddle bag gaurd mine came loose and from the rear pipe mount it rattled like a.....can full o marbles.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22,125 Likes on 8,501 Posts

I heard a similare noise on mine and it turned out to be the foot shifter where the shaft goes through the primary case. I pulled it out, applied some grease to it and that made it quiet.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Silverslider
Tourer
Default synthetic oil and breakdown

Only has 2000 miles on it. Wouldnt think it would be broken down already?

No. that is one of the advatages of using synthetic oil over petroleum based oils. they remain much more stable at higher tempertures than petro. Petros volatize at about 475 deg F. Synthetics can go to 700 degrees.
Every type of oil (petro or synthetic) breaks down over time as a result of oxidation. This oxidation residue is what needs to be cleaned by an oil filter. Since synthetic oil breaks down slower it last longer or produces residue at a slower rate.

The key here is to keep it clean

I have rarely ever done a complete oil change in anything (only my push mower and tiller ..no filter). I install a new filter and top off. My last truck had over 350,000 miles on it before I sold without ever having a complete oil change my Jeep had close to 250,000 and same results. Nether one ever gave me any problems.

I worked on a project many years ago where we used a filter medium the company I worked for made. We sponsored a semi truck to use a bypass filter system using our filter medium. The oil was never changed, we only changed the filter medium. It was still running strong at 500,000.

Oh yeah and same goes for the transmissions for both vehicles. Have you ever seen a dirty tranmission filter? I haven't. Tranmissions do not get hot (sure they get warm) but not nearly as hot as an engine. The truck had a manual tranmission and the jeep and automatic. Both were running great when I sold them without a change.

The key here it to keep it clean, dry, and filled.

But for warranty sake I will change the oil in my Harley for the next two years. Then back to my old ways

Old 09-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03dragonRK
Could be related to an exhaust issue. Check your mufflers to make sure they are clamped tight and your heat sheilds are not loose. If those are good then check that a baffle has not come loose.
+1
I would look at the exhaust system first since that was the last thing that was "worked on".

Quick Reply: Marbles in coffee can