Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are the pre-09 ultras more comfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:28 PM
firebrick
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are the pre-09 ultras more comfortable?

Alot of threads Ive been reading have been stating that the 09 up are better handling but the ride is compromised. For you riders that traded up is this true? I ride mostly in town and highways that dont curve too much here in iowa so a better "riding" bike might be a better fit than one that "handles" better and may fit my 5-8 frame better. Thanks.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Snuffy1
Cruiser

Love my 08. Justy got back from a 1200 mile trip in pouring rain, curvy roads and interstate. Comfortable and handled great.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:24 PM
PowerFactor
Road Master

I tried out my buddy's rented '09, and I have to say that I like the ride of my '08 better. Of course, that could be because it's my bike, but still I tried to be objective.

For my 0.02, I'm totally happy with what I have.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well the 09 does handle alot better. Not just in the twisties but also in heavy wind and grooved surfaces. But the ride is stiffer and the frame is wider to achieve this. I have been struggling with the wider frame for a while now. Trying different seats and lower suspension to get good footing and less strain on my hip and back. Finally decided to throw in the towel and go back to an 08.

BTW I am 5' 8" with a 29" inseam.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Aslan
Road Master

Love my 08. Sweet riding bike. No plans on trading in.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:42 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Garemlin
Well the 09 does handle alot better. Not just in the twisties but also in heavy wind and grooved surfaces. But the ride is stiffer and the frame is wider to achieve this. I have been struggling with the wider frame for a while now. Trying different seats and lower suspension to get good footing and less strain on my hip and back. Finally decided to throw in the towel and go back to an 08.

BTW I am 5' 8" with a 29" inseam.
Huh? You're going BACK to an 08 from an 09? Is this what I'm reading?

EDIT: forget it, I just read you're using an 08 seat on your 09..............

Last edited by JonnyD; 09-25-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:26 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 120 Posts

I agree the 09 is some stiffer then my 07 was, but overall I like the 09 better.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:29 PM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had more bikes that I like to admit. Recently I had a 2006, two 2008's, and now ride an 2009 Ultra. I didn't like the gearing on the 08's. Don't even ask why I had 2 of them. At first I couldn't stand the 09 and spent most of my time on my 09 Heritage. I finanally put a Sundowner seat and a Mustang backrest and all is well. IMO (remember it's my opinion so everybody be cool), the 08's were the worst of all the bikes I have owned. Fully loaded 2 up the gearing just plan sucked. The 09 is fine but I do need to play with the shocks. They are new on the 09's and need tons more air.

As far as I am concerned the 2006 I had was one of the best Harley's I have ever owned. I think I got hooked on the idea of the 6 speed transmission. If I had it to do over again I would have kept the 06; it was perfect in every way.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PTAG
..........As far as I am concerned the 2006 I had was one of the best Harley's I have ever owned. I think I got hooked on the idea of the 6 speed transmission. If I had it to do over again I would have kept the 06; it was perfect in every way.
Have heard this more than once. My brother has an 06 RK Custom and is afraid to upgrade for this very reason. Also, in 30K+ miles, not a lick of problem.

But, I have an 08 RKC, and I love the way it rides and having the 6 spd is very nice. But then I am blessed to even own or afford one of these things, so I'm easily satisfied

Old 09-25-2009, 09:39 PM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyD
Have heard this more than once. My brother has an 06 RK Custom and is afraid to upgrade for this very reason. Also, in 30K+ miles, not a lick of problem.

But, I have an 08 RKC, and I love the way it rides and having the 6 spd is very nice. But then I am blessed to even own or afford one of these things, so I'm easily satisfied
It's all about what you like. I am starting to "bond" with the 09. I only have 900 miles on it so far so this is really not enough to give it a fair review; but I am going to love it and stop trading so much. Or at least that what the wife says

Quick Reply: are the pre-09 ultras more comfortable?