Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Stupid Exhaust Question (Need Advice)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:43 PM
UltraEd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Stupid Exhaust Question (Need Advice)

I have an 08 Ultra and would like to install a set of Vance and Hines True Duals. I plan on utilizing the V/H Header Pipes with the V/H Monster Ovals. That's the easy part, the hard part is determining what else I need to ensure the bike runs properly. I contacted 3 different HD dealerships on the phone and got three different answers to the same question.

Dealer#1 told me if i install the V/H exhaust system, I would be required to install the HD stage 1 air intake with the S.E.R.T.. Then I would be required to place the bike on a dino machine to ensure everything was adjusted propertly. The cost would be about $2,400 and it would require 9 hours.

Dealer #2 stated once the V/H exhaust system was installed, I would need the stage 1 air intake and the V/H fuelpack. About $2,100, 6 hours to install the entire system.

Dealer #3 stated once the V/H exhaust system was installed all I would need to do is have the fuel injection/ECM download for $210.00. Total cost would be about $1,800 and 4 hours to install.

I guess my question is what is the correct answer? Anyone install the V/H exhaust system (Monster Ovals) with the download? If so, please let me know how your bike is running?

Thanks in advance of the advice?

Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

Do a search here and you'll find days of reading on this subject.

It's pretty much personal preference. Anything you listed will work and is right. I hope the prices you have listed include the purchase of the pipes and the installation.

If all you are changing is the pipes, you really don't have to do anything. Install the pipes and ride it, everything will be fine.

The download is only needed if you add a high flow air intake or "Stage 1". By adding the Stage ! air cleaner and filter, you get more air in the engine and only then will you see the performance advantage of the new pipes. Then at a minimum, you will need the download. I ran the download in my old bike for 45,000 miles with out a glitch.

But...the download is still lean ( I got great gas mileage ) and hot. If you are looking for the best performance gains, you'll want to add a tuner of some kind and have it professionally tuned. I say professionally tuned because the guy tuning it is more important than the device. The best module in the world doesn't mean crap if the guy setting the parameters doesn't know what he's doing. ( been there, done that )

Keep doing your research and good luck.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Saxon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Exhaust Question

Installed the true duals this summer matched to B&E superflow mufflers. Already had the stage 1 with the high flow air kit. Exhaust note is deeper and louder after adding the true duals. Unlike some I haven't noticed any loss of power or torque. In addition I experience a fair bit of backfire particularly on decel.
I also purchased a like new fuelpac for $120 - plan on installing it this winter. Guys tell me that it will richen up the fuel mixture & help with the decel pop - not sure if thats right or not. The other benefit of the V&H true duals is the reduction in the heat.
My cost $550 for stage 1 & Air-kit, $110 for mufflers, $325 true Duals, $145 for install, $120 for the fuel pac. Total $1250 CDN
Hope this helps - ride safe

Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's an extra step, install the exhaust yourself and save alot of cash. It's really not that hard.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:19 AM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same setup (V&H dresser dual, Monster Oval and HD Stage1 air cleaner)....but I went with Fuel Moto and Jamie with the PC-V. Bike run great and cool. Total cost with labor about $1,400.00

Old 10-07-2009, 01:48 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I am pretty sure #3s information is just for slip-on mufflers, NOT true duals. He might be right if you don't change the AC. But why would you open up the exhaust without letting in more air to start with? I did the dresser duals, SE AC, SERT/dyno. If I was starting over, I would call Jamie at Fuel Moto, based on what I have learned here on this forum.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:37 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Would definitely consider doing it yourself with help from Fuel Moto, Have heard nothing but good about them .. I bought a set of V&H True Dual Headers, Python Slips, Ness Big Sucker and PCIII designed for 2008 Touring Models .. All for about $1250.00.. Have a Local Guy that 90% of his work is strictly Dyno .. Handed him the PCIII still new in the box and he installed and then tuned it until he was happy with it and told me come back if I was not Happy for $200.00 .. I was very Happy and had eveything I was looking for at around $1500.00

Old 10-07-2009, 04:40 AM
geezrglider
Cruiser

I woulld also recommend calling Fuelmoto or Eastern Performance and going with the PC. I's stay away from the fuelpac as I had terrible results with it and beleive me I worked hard trying to get it right. I run TD's V&H ovals S&E breather PClll and jsut added Andrewss 37 G cams as well as gear drive. It runs very well I did have it dynoed,however I used a canned map prior to the cam upgrade and it worked like a champ.

Good luck with whatever you go with!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:42 AM
BFMC27
1st Gear

none of the three are good answers unless you are getting a cut of the commisioin from harley. with the fuel injection system on the new bikes harley has stated in there tech bulletin that no flash is needed for pipe and airl cleaner upgrade... with that said the 02 sensors are set to a 14.7 and act as a switch when in closed loop(idle and cruising). all other riding is in open loop. still a lean condition. if you put a set of slip ons and a stage 1 se air cleaner your bike will be fine. when i say fine i mean no damage will be done. it will be hot but that is not because of the mods. it was like that before. you can thank epa for that one. one way to cool it down for economicaly is a power commander. not as pricey as some of the others but will allow you to change the fuel curve lowering the lean and hot condition. cant speak for fuel pack, never used or installed one for anyone. without a doubt the best solution is to have a tuner install the se race tuner. it will allow the o2 sensors to remain, but changes there value from 14.7 to 13.2...way better for you not so much for the enviroment. most importantly dont let harley scare or bully you into a 100 dollar flash for a pipe and cleaner only mod. the new bikes can compensate for this change. look at some of the tech bullitens and see for yourself. another great site of knowlege is www.nightrider.com
hope this helps

Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BFMC27
none of the three are good answers unless you are getting a cut of the commisioin from harley. with the fuel injection system on the new bikes harley has stated in there tech bulletin that no flash is needed for pipe and airl cleaner upgrade... with that said the 02 sensors are set to a 14.7 and act as a switch when in closed loop(idle and cruising). all other riding is in open loop. still a lean condition. if you put a set of slip ons and a stage 1 se air cleaner your bike will be fine. when i say fine i mean no damage will be done. it will be hot but that is not because of the mods. it was like that before. you can thank epa for that one. one way to cool it down for economicaly is a power commander. not as pricey as some of the others but will allow you to change the fuel curve lowering the lean and hot condition. cant speak for fuel pack, never used or installed one for anyone. without a doubt the best solution is to have a tuner install the se race tuner. it will allow the o2 sensors to remain, but changes there value from 14.7 to 13.2...way better for you not so much for the enviroment. most importantly dont let harley scare or bully you into a 100 dollar flash for a pipe and cleaner only mod. the new bikes can compensate for this change. look at some of the tech bullitens and see for yourself. another great site of knowlege is www.nightrider.com
hope this helps
I firmly agree with all of this. Yes everything you do will help the bike and you, but none of it is "needed" to be done. It can all be done later if you want to save some money now.

If you want, you can just change the headers and exhaust. You don't "have to have" an aircleaner upgrade. That will save you at least $360.

FYI: I'll bet the dealer who says "you will have to have a dyno test run", has a dyno. My dealer doesn't have a dyno, so it is never mentioned. Funny he doesn't bring that up, huh?

FYI 2: I did all that crap before on my bikes and yes it helped a little. But mainly it just made the dealer money. My 08 still ran hot, until I put True Duals on to get the pipes away from my legs. So this time all I have done so far is the muffler change and maybe someday this winter I will change to True Duals.