Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Driving Lights Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:14 AM
88b
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Muck Fe what is it with all the threads about RG lights . I think the only difference between the head light for Europe and US is the small 5w side light. After I got the last set of Euro lamps in the European warehouse for my 04 I realised they dip straight down so I could have just added the 5w light. Here the marker lights in the turn signals are illegal. HD Europe stopped importing RG's in 01, I had to do a personal import and then make it legal here.
My advice would be caliper mounted lamps, the added bonus is the turn with the forks, or go HID

Old 10-14-2009, 03:17 AM
88b
Tourer

you can see the 5w lamp in this pic, a group of us use a blue LED bulb, it's not legal but identifies us.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the Moto Lights, you turn them on with the acc switch also really feels in the sides and are like have your lows and highs on at the same time when you flip your high beams on! People tell me all the time how they catch their eyes during the daylight hours which is a HUGE plus for me and as a bonus I don't have to put up with the...your headlights dont move with your forks any more.... LMAO!!!

I also have the Euro headlights.

Attached Thumbnails Road Glide Driving Lights Options-img_2714.jpg   Road Glide Driving Lights Options-img_2715-1.jpg   Road Glide Driving Lights Options-img_2716-1.jpg  

Last edited by gilbos440rt; 10-14-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:26 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

I met a road glide on the interstate that had blinding headlights and running lights. They looked HID. Way too bright for the highway with the American DOT reflectors. I use the HD International European E-code reflectors like the one in the pic with the running light bulb, with a 90/100 yellow bulb on the left side and a 85/80 high output on the right. It's extremely bright but doesn't blind oncoming traffic, remember all the lighting in the world is not going to do much good if you blind drivers and they veer into your lane!! E-code lenses have a sharper cutoff point on low beam to avoid blinding oncoming traffic and a more focused beam on high. I wired in ceramic headlight plugs that would not melt from the heat of the high power bulbs, that setup lights up the road like the sun came up. There's a site called daniel stern lighting that explains all this in more detail, that's where i got the idea for this. I have noticed since i put the yellow bulb on the left, i seem to be more visible to stupid drivers. Seems to me the best setup would be HID bulbs used with the E-code reflector.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:17 AM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdave
I met a road glide on the interstate that had blinding headlights and running lights. They looked HID. Way too bright for the highway with the American DOT reflectors. I use the HD International European E-code reflectors like the one in the pic with the running light bulb, with a 90/100 yellow bulb on the left side and a 85/80 high output on the right. It's extremely bright but doesn't blind oncoming traffic, remember all the lighting in the world is not going to do much good if you blind drivers and they veer into your lane!! E-code lenses have a sharper cutoff point on low beam to avoid blinding oncoming traffic and a more focused beam on high. I wired in ceramic headlight plugs that would not melt from the heat of the high power bulbs, that setup lights up the road like the sun came up. There's a site called daniel stern lighting that explains all this in more detail, that's where i got the idea for this. I have noticed since i put the yellow bulb on the left, i seem to be more visible to stupid drivers. Seems to me the best setup would be HID bulbs used with the E-code reflector.
what i wanted to do but e code reflector no longer available except in lh style (for left lane driving).

Old 10-15-2009, 09:04 AM
fripple
Road Warrior

What is the life span of the HID verses the conventional bulb?

Old 10-15-2009, 04:21 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior

Should last 3 or 4 times longer from what I've read.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:44 PM
SixSixRider
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted to revise this thread, as I share Tytanium's perception of "out-driving my lights". Unless the road is flat & straight, I hate riding my RG at night.....every curve is a challenge and I will ride with my hi-beam on just to keep me from running off the road!! I've not seen the HID lights personally, but from their website I get the impression these are the VERY white/blue lights which (honestly) are pretty annoying. I'm looking for something with a better spread across the road....something like I got with my prior '06 Road King and '03 Wide Glide. These older bikes of mine had stock lights and did just fine. So I'm hoping there's a good solution for the sharknose.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:26 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior

Here is the HID kit I used:
http://www.xenonlink.com/H4+Bi-Xenon...enon+6000K.htm

I have them for over a year now and they are awesome. Like others have said I never need my hi-beams. I also had the Kuryakyn driving lights which I removed as I never used them.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:43 PM
NHSPMCU
Cruiser
Cool Taking off the fairing...

Originally Posted by Tytanium
Some good info.

I think the conclusion ya'lls comments is bringing me to is that I need to upgrade the headlights first then see if I still want to explore driving lights. I guess I'm a little spoiled as my Lowrider throws a ton of light. So much so my normal crew of riding buddies won't ride in front of me at night. I always end up on point - which is OK when you can see for a mile.

It might take me a a few weeks to conjure up the $$$ but I will post the results. Not looking forward to taking off the faring.

Whats the euro headlight do that is different than stock or US?

Thanks all!!

T
Taking off the fairing is not as bad as it initially seems, putting it back on takes some time and patience. Just take your time. you'll get it. Really not all that hard to do. Good luck and cover the front fender with a pad or blanket before you start!!!

Quick Reply: Road Glide Driving Lights Options