Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Driving Lights Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Tytanium
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide Driving Lights Options

Well

I picked up my 09 FLTR this summer (same day the 2010 bikes were released). I love my fugly shark nosed beast. Excellent scooter.

However..... with every night ride I became more and more annoyed with the mediocre headlights. Always feel like I need to slow down to avoid out-driving my lights. I intend to upgrade the headlights but would also like to do something more. Such as driving lights.

I've seen the halogen Motolights in a few other threads and have also checked out the Kuryayn Halogen Light / turn signal combo. Both options are nice but PRICEY!!! I'm not thrilled about adding more "stuff" to the bike either. Other than the addition of lowers at some point, I would like to keep her really "clean" = less is more.

Is it possible to replace the "guts" of the existing turn signals to convert them into halogen driving lights??

I would strongly consider moving the turn signals to the mirrors or a headlight bezel if I could convert the turn signal to halogen driving lights.

http://www.jpcycles.com/catalog/2009...on=06+Lighting

Page 299 of the online JP Catalog for Harleys has frickin' "Lazer Star" 2 1/4 inch 50 Watt Halogen bullet lights in a gloss black that looks about what I would like in lieu of the existing turn signal..... I googled "lazer star" and went to their website - it's horrible and was no help. I have no idea if they, or any other aftermarket bullet halogen light, will fit without serious modification and it would be a bit spendy for a "try it and see" purchase.

Are there any other aftermarket solutions in addition to MotoLights and Kuryakyn ?

Any ideas from the Road Glide gang?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Tytanium; 10-12-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:38 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i feel your pain. had the hd fog lights and like the light they put out especially for the money. however i just added hogg chopps so i had to remove. the others are pricey plus don't care for the look. checking into the euro headlight but the part number i see doesn't come up in the chicago hd or zanotti's website. looking for some help!!!!

Old 10-12-2009, 07:56 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed HID lights from Howard @ Motorcycle Metal. Im really happy with how much brighter these HID lights are both day and night. Hes a forum member here

His website >> http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/index.html

Old 10-12-2009, 09:27 PM
shredsurf
Road Master

Love my Kuryakyn's!!

Old 10-12-2009, 10:03 PM
GarArnett
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny, I think my 2010 FLTRX has the best stock lighting of any bike I've ever had. As for motolights, I had a set of caliper mounts on a Hayabusa and Triumph Trophy. Motolights and stock lights did not light up the road anywhere near what the stock Road Glide does. And I had put in the high watt bulbs. Motolights are nice, but they don't light up the night. They just add a little to the side, which was welcome on the Hayabusa with it's pencil beam high and not too great main. Just my opinion, but if you want more light than a stock RoadGlide setup, you need to go HID or PIAA, mounted up high.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:16 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HID from Motorcycle HID lights http://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/h...-hid-kit-p-227. I've seen this kit in person, you will never use your high beams.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Tytanium
Cruiser

Some good info.

I think the conclusion ya'lls comments is bringing me to is that I need to upgrade the headlights first then see if I still want to explore driving lights. I guess I'm a little spoiled as my Lowrider throws a ton of light. So much so my normal crew of riding buddies won't ride in front of me at night. I always end up on point - which is OK when you can see for a mile.

It might take me a a few weeks to conjure up the $$$ but I will post the results. Not looking forward to taking off the faring.

Whats the euro headlight do that is different than stock or US?

Thanks all!!

T

Old 10-13-2009, 06:42 AM
ncbeast
Road Master

I have been wanting to do the same thing to my front turn signals. Not for more light at night but to get rid of the amber. I have already tossed the rear turn signal bar and replaced with led arrays between the bags and the fillers. Not many options for the front. The bezel with the turns in them are worthless because they get washed out by the headlights. You can remove them and add covers for the holes and either go with the turn signal mirros or something between the forks. Rabiantz does make led inserts in white which would get rid of the amber but not sure it will help with night brightness. I think this is the way I will go.

Attached Thumbnails Road Glide Driving Lights Options-dsc01900.jpg   Road Glide Driving Lights Options-img00009-20090913-0850.jpg   Road Glide Driving Lights Options-dsc01951.jpg  
Old 10-14-2009, 12:51 AM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought a set of motolights (expensive but well made), because i am thinking of adding lowers this winter. their is a thread on walmart specials that guys have modified and used in place of motolights, and H-D fog lights

Old 10-14-2009, 01:34 AM
wattspd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tytanium
Some good info.

I think the conclusion ya'lls comments is bringing me to is that I need to upgrade the headlights first then see if I still want to explore driving lights. I guess I'm a little spoiled as my Lowrider throws a ton of light. So much so my normal crew of riding buddies won't ride in front of me at night. I always end up on point - which is OK when you can see for a mile.

It might take me a a few weeks to conjure up the $$$ but I will post the results. Not looking forward to taking off the faring.

Whats the euro headlight do that is different than stock or US?

Thanks all!!

T
You need to take that fairing off at least once to be a true road glide owner. Go with HID and light up the freeway for all the other cars too...

Quick Reply: Road Glide Driving Lights Options