Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam comparison - my totally unscientific data findings

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 03:23 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool Cam comparison - my totally unscientific data findings

I, like many people here, have been racking my brain trying to figure out which bolt-in cam is the right one for me. To help me decide (which I haven't yet), I scoured the Internet for dynos for 2008 96 cubic inch engines, both stock, and very lightly modified, that had the same cams I was interested in.

The cams I narrowed my choices down to are the SE204, SE255, and the HQ500. I know there are fans of Andrews, and other SE/HQ cams, but personally I eliminated those for my own reasons.

What I did was find dynos that had builds close to mine, or where I am going (I have a Fuelpak, and they don't support any of these three choices, so i need to get a TTS or a PCV). If you have a TTS or a great dyno operator, I'm sure the data here won't reflect that. Here's my sources, and a few notes:

STOCK - runs from Latus HD, who has these dynos on their website. These are brand or nearly brand new bikes with no mods to the pipes, ECM, etc. Took four 96ci stock runs from touring bikes, and averaged them.

SE204 and SE255 - dynos set from other users, as well as what I could find from HD. Minimum of five of each, and took averages across the RPM range to come up with numbers. These bikes had a non-stock AC, slip-on pipes, and either a PCIII or PCV. I couldn't get enough data from users of the TTS, which I would have preferred.

HQ500 - dynos set from other users, as well as data from HeadQuarters. I had 4 of these sets of numbers, and took the averages across the RPM range to come up with final numbers. These bikes had a non-stock AC, slip on pipes, and either a PCIII or PCV. I couldn't get enough data from users of TTS, which I would have preferred.

This is unscientific, and YOUR NUMBERS MAY BE WAY HIGHER OR LOWER BASED OFF MANY FACTORS like elevation, quality of tuning, intellgence of your dyno operator, brand of tuner, other components on your bike, etc etc etc.

Not looking to have to defend the numbers. Take them with a grain of salt. Just figured maybe one person out there would appreciate the weeks of research I did across many forums (including this one), and maybe the numbers presented may help them in some way.

If anybody wants to send along their numbers for Andrews or other cams not listed, and can provide a few other dynos for averaging, I'll be glad to update my graphs to reflect those lightly modified 96ci bikes as well.

To make the data easier to see, I seperated the HP and TQ data into two seperate graphs. You'll see that each of the cams are all over the board.

It comes down to HOW YOU RIDE to determine the best bolt-in cam for you. The data flip-flops around up to about 3500RPM, and then settles into a pattern. If you want to change the numbers around to develop your own graphs, email me for the original Excel file.

Hope it helps somebody out, or maybe helps guide you to limiting your choices down as well.

http://www.klamen.com/pfiles/cam.doc

Last edited by mastery; 10-17-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:31 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Well? Watcha waiting for? Do it!

Old 10-17-2009, 04:59 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Staying with 96 and using the fuelpak
2 cams with maps
an 26h
SE 211

I understand you mainly looking for dyno graphs or numbers but thought I would let you know that V&H has these maps for these 2 cams.

A lot of us are not that interested in spending the money just to what the numbers are.
Like Ultraklassc said, what you waiting for.

07 Ultra
96 ci
SE 255 cams
V&H true duals
SE 64895-07 a mufflers
PCV w/AT
I read the spec's on different cams, lift, duration, and made my decision
Numbers mean nothing to me, what I feel does
Pulls like a johndeere
no need to change gears to pass

Thanks for the graphs, it may help someone that is still in the thinking about cams

just a thought

In God we Trust

dd

Last edited by dirtdobber; 10-17-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:24 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll get it done over the winter...plenty of time with the cold wetness that will soon be here. I'm still riding right now

I have no interest in the 26H or SE211 cams. I went back and forth with FP about when they were going to create maps for any others. They said if there was enough demand, they would. I told them they should read the Harley forums more often.

I'm not going to worry about just a couple of HP or TQ...but if something gives me a lot more power, at the same price point, I'm going to do it.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Taterdigger
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess looking at your graphs that for the most part they agree with most of what I've read here. The HQ500 and SE204s produce higher peak TQ and HP numbers while the SE255s produce lower numbers but with a flatter curve.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mastery
I'll get it done over the winter...plenty of time with the cold wetness that will soon be here. I'm still riding right now

I have no interest in the 26H or SE211 cams. I went back and forth with FP about when they were going to create maps for any others. They said if there was enough demand, they would. I told them they should read the Harley forums more often.

I'm not going to worry about just a couple of HP or TQ...but if something gives me a lot more power, at the same price point, I'm going to do it.
OK, whats the deal with you and Andrews cams? Just noticing that you comment alot about not being interested in Andrews. Just wondering.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Kevin's_09FXDF
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the specs of the SE 204? the graphs look good, DO you need to replace the valve springs for them?

Old 10-17-2009, 07:10 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You are beating this like a rented donkey!!!
Myself the first thing I would be concerned with is your stock exhaust with what looks like slipon's, you will never get good #'s from any cam using that set up. It doesn't pay to do things to the engine when the exhaust won't support it, I think you may be jumping to cams to soon and expecting to much.
You need to be looking at this a a package, when you put a good air cleaner on and a good set of cams in so the poor old engine can breath and then leave that pitifull Harley exhaust on, just defeats the reason for doing it, get all the supporting actors in play before installing the maestro (aka camshaft).

Old 10-17-2009, 08:32 PM
dklanecky
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting the work, it does confirm a lot of other posts.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks Mastery, very informative....

Trucky911

Quick Reply: Cam comparison - my totally unscientific data findings