Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built a GPS Mount @ 4am - couldn't sleep...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 01:07 PM
usmcbay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyote
making the mounting bar a little shorter will reduce some of the vibration...
Okay noticing a few of you have mentioned the length... this length puts the top of my GPS mount about 1" from my Windshield. What I am thinking - if it weren't for my Tach I could have made it shorter and FROM the top instead of from the bottom. That would put the close end of my GPS mount nearer to the windshield / mounting bolt. Basically a "Flip it over" idea... but for me I had to go UP to get it away from the view of my Tach~

Last edited by usmcbay; 11-05-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:27 PM
usmcbay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rkride
Wow usmcbay
I do like the GPS mount but my eyes strayed to your Tach setup with the nacelle mount. That is the same setup that I am thinking of putting on my bike
I'm real happy with it thought the body did get a long split in it - the bezel is all metal the body is plastic...Grrrrr~!

Old 11-05-2009, 01:31 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Took a GPS with us on a 1500 mi. trip. Gone for 6 days. Used the suction mount that came with the unit. They said that it wouldn't stay on the windshield but it never moved through the entire trip. Mounted it on the lower left corner of the shield. One big advantage that I found with the factory mount was that I could remove the unit when not on the bike and at night while between the sheets.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Glofish88
Cruiser

Some of my best work has come in the middle of the night when I wasn't asleep...wait, that didn't come out right. But, nice work there.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:37 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

I wake up every morning exhausted and realize i have been working in my sleep!!!! I get a hell of alot done but dont have a thing to show for it!!! Gives me a good excuse for being LAZY all day!!!
Nice work and GREAT friggin pics....some of you guys are really good with your cameras!!... Keep up the nice work and projects!!! Most of us really do appreciate the ideas!!!!!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

while i didnt 'fabricate' a mount, i did a little modding to an ebay handlebar mount for my wifes old Garmin C330.. also wired up a power source.

now i just need to ride.

looks good.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:52 PM
usmcbay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by riteway
I wake up every morning exhausted and realize i have been working in my sleep!!!! I get a hell of alot done but dont have a thing to show for it!!! Gives me a good excuse for being LAZY all day!!!
Nice work and GREAT friggin pics....some of you guys are really good with your cameras!!... Keep up the nice work and projects!!! Most of us really do appreciate the ideas!!!!!
Well thank you sir... I hope it helps someone.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:09 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riteway
I too wake up tired every moring because my brain won't shut down. Damn I miss having a garage/workshop. I have all the tools I need,I just need a place to work with them. I would probably sleep out there.
Your GPS holder came out great.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:31 PM
my1sthog
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you a machinist or tin knocker by trade? Sure looks good!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:57 AM
usmcbay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by my1sthog
Are you a machinist or tin knocker by trade? Sure looks good!
Nope... somewhat of an office Pogue these days... but occasionally I get to work our Demo Shears, Grapples and Magnets... That's always fun. I sell Refinery and Chemical Plant Equipment / Units.

But any skills applied come from being a professional tinkerer in the Garage... Ha ha...

Quick Reply: Built a GPS Mount @ 4am - couldn't sleep...