Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built a GPS Mount @ 4am - couldn't sleep...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:53 AM
usmcbay
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Built a GPS Mount @ 4am - couldn't sleep...

They say you're supposed to read if you can't sleep - well I really wanted a GPS mount before heading out this weekend with my Pappy on a 3day ride through the Hill Country...

Made it out of a strip of 3/4" Aluminum Flat Bar... and two self tapping screws (pre-drilled the holes though).

For the 3/8" nut and bolt in the center of my Windshield - I tapped the mounting hole on the Aluminum Bar to be able to snug it up and use the 3/8" acorn nut like a double locking nut with just a touch of Locktite... also I put some Industrial Strength Velcro on the mounting side of the Aluminum to keep it from rubbing the Chrome - Felt would also work but maybe not as sticky.

It is a bit bouncy at idle - so I will build a brace when I get more flat bar - for this trip it will have a micro-fiber tightly rolled and wedged behind it...

Attached Thumbnails Built a GPS Mount @ 4am - couldn't sleep...-dsc05466.jpg   Built a GPS Mount @ 4am - couldn't sleep...-dsc05468.jpg   Built a GPS Mount @ 4am - couldn't sleep...-dsc05469.jpg   Built a GPS Mount @ 4am - couldn't sleep...-dsc05470.jpg   Built a GPS Mount @ 4am - couldn't sleep...-dsc05467.jpg  

Last edited by usmcbay; 11-05-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:00 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,941 Likes on 1,925 Posts

Looks good. If you can't sleep we have plenty of stuff you can do over here.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:01 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks pretty good! Did it help you find your way back to bed?

Old 11-05-2009, 09:22 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good! The only thing I might do different is to go ahead and drill the self tapping screw holes out for a bolt and locking nut with the nylon insert to protect from the vibes it's going to see
Great work!

Old 11-05-2009, 09:30 AM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks good. I see one possible concern in the design. It looks like the GPS has an arc'd shape on the top and back. If the GPS vibrates and slides to the side a little, could it loosen up enough to fall out? I'd hate for you to see it bouncing down the hwy next to you.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:38 AM
usmcbay
Cruiser

Originally Posted by capt_caveman
It looks good. I see one possible concern in the design. It looks like the GPS has an arc'd shape on the top and back. If the GPS vibrates and slides to the side a little, could it loosen up enough to fall out? I'd hate for you to see it bouncing down the hwy next to you.
Anything is possible but what I did is bend the Aluminum about 3/16" out of flat to spring load it when the GPS Unit is in it. So it is as tight as a drum to the point I don't think it would damage the unit. It takes some pressure to get it out - or even adjust it for that matter - the powers of vibration considered~!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:05 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

making the mounting bar a little shorter will reduce some of the vibration...

Old 11-05-2009, 10:25 AM
rkride
Cruiser

Wow usmcbay
I do like the GPS mount but my eyes strayed to your Tach setup with the nacelle mount. That is the same setup that I am thinking of putting on my bike

Old 11-05-2009, 10:57 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of those small dots of velcro you get in packs of ten or so at walmart for a buck or two put one on top and bottom of GPS and mount and it's there for ever and if you get tired of looking at it they are easy to remove.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:39 AM
bldap
Tourer

Looks great! I've been working on designing a mount that would attach to the windshield. When you get back from your trip I'd be very interested in hearing how the vibration factor is mounting to the shield.
I'm looking at a shorter extension off the shield but am very interested in your experience.
Safe trip.

Quick Reply: Built a GPS Mount @ 4am - couldn't sleep...