Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Touring bike riders without ABS

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:03 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Our07Ultra
I locked both front and rear up on the parkway when a racoon darted in front of me. Bike danced somewhat but did not go down.
Not a good idea. Just roll on the throttle next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40kPEjZpM8M

Old 11-11-2009, 01:12 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've locked both up to avoid deer, antelope without going down, just have to get off the back, I have floating rotors on the front which give you a little better stopping power. With your racing experience you should be fine w/o ABS, just don't get the back end sideways and let off else highside as I'm sure you know.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Big Pig
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Motorcycles have been coming to screeching stops long before ABS exsisted. I have both a '08 RKC and a '10 SG, both "big" touring bikes and neither with ABS, my choice.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:01 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would bet that ABS Brakes will be manditory in a few years.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bikes
I would bet that ABS Brakes will be manditory in a few years.
Yes it's probably headed that way just like cat/ converter's are on the 2010's I heard?

Old 11-11-2009, 02:04 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

I was on both brakes hard right before I hit a deer. You could tell by the marks on the road that I had either one or both brakes locked up momentarily several times but mostly I was braking hard enough to leave a little rubber. Even the cop and an EMT (both who ride) made comments about the short shiny spots along the skid. They asked if I had ABS, I don't.
I know when I brake that hard in my truck with ABS, it mostly just keeps rolling to a nice controlled gradual stop. Stopping distance with ABS is better than an all out locked up skid but IMO not as short as possible.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I locked up rear on a interstate on a panic stop after 2 months with the new SG with Brembo brakes cause I was a dumb *** and went down.
Gotta know your brake limitations.
If you have an older bike and your used to pounding on the rear brake to stop.....DONT try that with Brembo non-abs brakes.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:16 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Only f@gs have ABS.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:22 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex Rider
I have to call BS on that.

I would like to know how putting a bike down on it's side,sliding down the street metal against concrete out of control,is going to avoid car and/or stop faster countersteering and thresehold braking ?
My guess is you have never been in this situation? I've gone down twice in a controlled skid. Did I avoid the accident or stop faster? Nope! Did I suffer less from skidding on the road a few feet, getting away from the bike best I could before impact? Yes! Was it better than squarely hitting a ton of steel head on, well, I think so, yeah. Better to slide than fly through the air is my thought.

I'm not against ABS, in fact, I believe it probably makes it a bit safer under most circumstances. It's those few times it gets weird that would worry me. Have a buddy who loved it when he got it, but went to stop fast on a "washboard" surface at an intersection. He said it was almost like the brakes weren't sure what to do, bouncing on the washboard made the ABS think the tire was locking up during the bounce, it probably was for split seconds in the air. He got stopped but said it was the strangest thing he had ever felt in all his years of riding. I don't like it in my truck, pretty sure I don't want it yet on my bike, I like trusting me.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:25 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex Rider
I have to call BS on that.

I would like to know how putting a bike down on it's side,sliding down the street metal against concrete out of control,is going to avoid car and/or stop faster countersteering and thresehold braking ?

Consider this a second BS penalty flag on the play. Sheer nonsense. Some folks will always oppose new technology. There are no "non-racing" on-road motorcycling circumstances where it would have been better to have a non-abs bike. That being said, with lot's of riding experience you should be able to avoid the vast majority of instances where abs would have been a benefit.

Far, far better to have abs brakes and not need them than to need them and not have them.

Quick Reply: Question for Touring bike riders without ABS