Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 Big Bore Kit install

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:49 PM
fettnersa
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 103 Big Bore Kit install

Bought a 103 kit today w/255 cams at the 25% off sale and would like to ask those who have installed them or know, if I should have the cam bearings changed to torrington, or the Baisley oil pressure spring installed as well. How did the kit work out for those who have them?

Old 11-27-2009, 11:52 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,941 Likes on 1,925 Posts

Torrington b 168 for your year model for sure.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:26 AM
fxlowboy
Tourer

new cam=new bearing go with the Torrington B168

Old 11-28-2009, 07:42 AM
fettnersa
Tourer

Thanks for the info. Where can I get these bearings locally? I need them in a few days so ordering online wont work. Any stores sell them?

Old 11-28-2009, 07:44 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Maybe some indy shops near you have them.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:51 AM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Harley dealers have torrington's. You do know you need a special tool to get the old one out and new one back in don't you? Then there's the cam plate...old cams out are easy. Then you need to press the new cams in on the plate...with a tool made to do so. Then another tool to align the oil pump. Not being a smart azz, just sayin' there's more to this job than your question about bearing's. Which lead me to believe you might of missed a couple of steps.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:05 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 346 Likes on 176 Posts

You don't have to have any special tools to change the cams on the 96" engines. The cams just slide in the plate if you are careful and have an extra set of hands to help. A couple of evo tappet guide alignment tools are what you would have to have to get the oil pump on right. Pulling and installing the inner cam bearings requires a special puller/installer(not cheap). I would change the inner cam bearings. They improved them on 96" engines(larger) but they are still not ideal. They also improved the oiling system/oil pump on 96" engines. It's fine as is.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:08 AM
deezee
Cruiser

Bearing houses have'm......industrial maintenance supply houses either havem or can getem......

Old 11-28-2009, 08:39 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

I've done it. No tool needed to install the cams in the cam plate, they just slide in. The bearings in the case will need to be pulled and the Torringtons installed, both with a tool of sort. I used a tool designed for the job, but others have used what the Auto Parts stores loan.

No tool needed for oil pump alignment either. The manual doesn't make mention, HOWEVER, I used one anyway. You can do the "spin the back wheel" approach. As for the baisley spring? Even though there is no call for the oil pump alignment pins, after using them, my oil pressure is way better than the OEM factory setup, so if available, use the pins and forget the spring. Or use both...LOL...My $.02.

After the build, get you some good gloves with grip. You're gonna need them to hang on. LOL!!

Old 11-28-2009, 10:44 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,029 Likes on 1,743 Posts

+1 on the B168's. If you go to Georges Garage website he has them for sale on there. For your 09 the stock pump is plenty so I would not bother with the upgraded baisley spring.

Quick Reply: 103 Big Bore Kit install