Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cardo Scala Rider Q2 Headset

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:17 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cardo Scala Rider Q2 Headset

I have been thinking about picking these up but I have a few concerns.
For you folks that use these I have a few questions....

I have Reinharts TD's and since I installed the new cams they have gotten a whole lot louder. The wife and I both have 3/4 open face helmets and we are only interested in talking Driver to Passenger.

Now finally the questions

With open face helmets and loud pipes are we going to be able to communicate with each other?

Will we have to have the VOX turned up so much because of the wind and loud pipes that we will need to yell to activate these units?

I hate to spend that much money and then not be satisfied with them.

Thanks a lot!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:25 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've installed several headsets in my Goldwings over the years. I realize the Wings run a lot quieter than your Harley does but I found that it's best to mount the speakers in the helmet as close to the ears as possible. If you mount them on the inside of the helmet shell, there will be a space between the speakers and your ears. I finally ended up making a spacer so the speakers were noticeably closer to the ears. It was almost like having a set of headphones on your head without a helmet. I did it for a different reason. I have a significant hearing deficit.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:29 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will have no issue I have used mine for bike to Bike and well as pasanger and rider and bluetooth with open face 3/4 doing 70 on the high way with My monster ovals with out problem. You may have to adjust theplace ment of the ear pices in the helmet but that is it.

Also checkout out my deal on the multi set 289.99 ship please you will receive 10% forum discount using HF10 coupon on checkout, that comes to 260.99 delivered to your day. Don't think you can find a much better deal then that. In sotck and ready to ship.
http://shop.techncyclegear.com/SCALA...t-SRQ2M002.htm

Old 12-14-2009, 09:31 AM
garyloos
Intermediate

My wife has a face shield on her helmet and I use an open face helmet and we are able to talk back and forth with out problems. Sometimes I wil have to say a couple of words before it picks up. We really like ours. I am also able to talk on my cell phone while riding up to about 70 mph after that I have trouble hearing the person talking to me. I wear hearing aids.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:33 AM
realmccoy01
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Scala Rider Teamset which is basically the same thing without the FM. I ride an 08 RK with loud pipes. My wife and I both wear 3/4 helmets and have no trouble hearing each other. I will say that we have abandoned the VOX feature and just turn the headset on manually. We actually just turn it on a the beginning of the ride and forget about it. Sometimes for no apparent reason it just shuts off and the wife has to reactivate it. Other than that we love it. The volume adjusts to the ambient noise. We found that speaker placement in the helmet was critical.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:19 PM
wctom
Cruiser

I bought a set from techncyclegear in May. Been using them continuously. Just today we used them bike to bike for a 350 mile lunch ride, and at 78 MPH we could talk and hear with no problems. These are on 3/4 open face helmets.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:22 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

I love mine; I use that system with my 3/4 helmet and not one issue. Go for it.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:28 PM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ours work very well. Can turn it up way too loud! Clear as a bell even at 70, and I've talked on the phone at speed and the reciever couldn't tell I was riding.
3/4 helmet open face, BTW.
Like others, we generally just tap the button to start a conversation.
And at 60 + there is a chance the vox can kick on if the mic is in the wind. I put a little scotch take over the windward side of the mic and that helped somewhat. (have to post that in the $50 and under thread, haha)