Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surgeon says I can ride again!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:49 PM
TMair
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had back surgery two years ago, fortunatly it was just this time of year so not much riding anyway, doc wouldn't let me go to work for three months, then another couple of months of physical therapy, been riding ever since, no problems, but like others have said new bars, and back rest are the ticket, and like others have said my bike is way more comfy then my truck. Also once I had the pressure removed from the nerves no pain, and mine was bad enough that it ruptured the dural sac on my spinal cord, and the nerve damage cause the muscles in my leg to atrophy, so no pain is a blessing, ride safe, but RIDE!!!
Terry

Old 12-15-2009, 09:33 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Had the same fusion back in 1994. Do real well with riding. Have a back rest on both the Deuce and Iltra. but would have them even w/o a fused up back. really helps with the lpng rides

Old 12-15-2009, 10:22 PM
michael427
Tourer

What bars and seat combo's have worked well for you all? I'm 6'2 but I haven't really had issue with the stock bars. I'm running an old roadglide seat with some tears so I do need to replace it.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:28 PM
2003Springer
Outstanding HDF Member

glad to hear that. man be careful. Of all the pain medication they gave me oxycontin, demorol, morphine, and a host of others nothing helped the pain untill i took TRAMADOL It totally stopped the pain. It is non narcotic non habit formaing and you don't build up a tolerance to it. Hope you are out of pain now.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:12 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy just had almost the same thing and that was just last week, he keeps going out and looking at the bike and I keep telling him chill out. Thank god it is winter time here or I would have one he(* of a time keeping him off of it. Glade to see that your healing but like others have said don't rush it, better to take it easy and ride until your old then rush and your done for good. Ride safe.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 AM
michael427
Tourer

Originally Posted by cap5369
My buddy just had almost the same thing and that was just last week, he keeps going out and looking at the bike and I keep telling him chill out. Thank god it is winter time here or I would have one he(* of a time keeping him off of it. Glade to see that your healing but like others have said don't rush it, better to take it easy and ride until your old then rush and your done for good. Ride safe.
Stay on your buddy. Taking it easy is the only way to go. I'll never go through this crap again. I keep meaning to get up to blue springs hd sometime. Ordered some parts from them online and they were great. I'm about 200 miles south in southeast Kansas.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:46 AM
bcane98
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear everything worked out on the surgery... my doc keeps hounding me, but military doc's aren't as trust-worthy to me cause they crippled my 1st Sgt and killed a coworker; 1st Sgt has a cane for the rest of his life due to a mistake during the Op and coworker was given a cocktail of pain scripts that affected his heart condition... Hope you can see my point for waiting, but I am glad to hear ya'll have some relief from your pain.

Funny thing about mine is riding actually doesn't hurt as much as riding in a car... weird huh!

Old 12-16-2009, 03:09 PM
michael427
Tourer

Originally Posted by bcane98
Glad to hear everything worked out on the surgery... my doc keeps hounding me, but military doc's aren't as trust-worthy to me cause they crippled my 1st Sgt and killed a coworker; 1st Sgt has a cane for the rest of his life due to a mistake during the Op and coworker was given a cocktail of pain scripts that affected his heart condition... Hope you can see my point for waiting, but I am glad to hear ya'll have some relief from your pain.

Funny thing about mine is riding actually doesn't hurt as much as riding in a car... weird huh!
A buddy of mine let the Navy do a bowel resection and a spinal laminectomy and they screwed him up pretty good. Now he's hooked on pain killers and looks like he has a vagina on his belly.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:12 PM
michael427
Tourer

By the way, Took my first post op ride today and it was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Took it easy. Started around town. Went out on the highway a bit but only stayed out a couple of hours. Sunny, 50 degrees. My God it was beautiful!
The bike feels sooo much better than the car. Backs a little stiff now but I haven't done this in about 3 months. Thanks again for all the response. You all rock.--------------------Mike

Old 12-16-2009, 09:41 PM
TMair
Road Captain

Originally Posted by michael427
What bars and seat combo's have worked well for you all? I'm 6'2 but I haven't really had issue with the stock bars. I'm running an old roadglide seat with some tears so I do need to replace it.
I am 6', but I have short legs, I put a set of bars from a Road King Custom, they pull back pretty good, I have a comfort stitch seat on and I love it, and I use the adjustable back rest from Harley, just like riding in the recliner only better!
Terry