Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it matter when you add stage 1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:39 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Does it matter when you add stage 1?

Recently purchased my dream bike, a 09 black denim FLHT. Only has 3 miles on it as I cannot ride in Michigan winter. Anyways, I know that I am adding V&H Widow slip-ons before spring but was wondering if I can/could do the air cleaner and power commander at the same time, or wait until I get some miles on it. Personally I would think that it would be good for the bike to have more air running through it with the air cleaner and the extra fuel from the PCV to make it run cooler, but I don't want to mess anything up. I was going to purchase the PC-V through Jamie at Fuel Moto so the bike won't be on a dyno.

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:09 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
Recently purchased my dream bike, a 09 black denim FLHT. Only has 3 miles on it as I cannot ride in Michigan winter. Anyways, I know that I am adding V&H Widow slip-ons before spring but was wondering if I can/could do the air cleaner and power commander at the same time, or wait until I get some miles on it. Personally I would think that it would be good for the bike to have more air running through it with the air cleaner and the extra fuel from the PCV to make it run cooler, but I don't want to mess anything up. I was going to purchase the PC-V through Jamie at Fuel Moto so the bike won't be on a dyno.

Thanks for the help.
Yes, you can do it all at the same time.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:20 PM
gene01
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would do the air cleaner and the fuel controller at the same time as the exhaust system... Jamie can set the fuel controller based on what you have as far as equipment, with a stage 1, it is simple, when you add cams and etc. it is a little more difficult to get fuel management set up........

Old 01-03-2010, 02:23 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, your thoughts are correct................you can do it all at once now and do no harm to the motor at all. If anything you'll be helping the motor by doing it now, with the proper fuel adjustments it will run cooler then it would have completely stock.

Steve

Old 01-03-2010, 02:44 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys! THis is my first Harley and I am still learning. Sounds like I am good to go and add everything now to be ready for Spring... only 3 very long months to go

Old 01-03-2010, 02:53 PM
tmcgeesr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't mess it up. All you are doing is putting more air through the motor and richening up the fuel circuit to match the increase air. The bike runs better/stronger and much cooler. When I added a PCV to mine it dropped the oil temperature 20 degrees. Not important now but it will be in the summer.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:30 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I would contact Jamie and talk about a complete package for your bike. If you don't already have the slipons I'm sure he'd put something together for you at a great price.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
Recently purchased my dream bike, a 09 black denim FLHT. Only has 3 miles on it...
Not to pee in your soup, but what makes you think it runs hot if you only have three miles on it?

There are alternatives to the PC-V that you could add before any modifications...the TTS comes to mind and you won't be tied to a generic canned map (which will still benefit greatly from a few runs on the dyno).

You've got some time so I'd suggest do some more research and reading...hate to see your dream bike turn into a nightmare.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:32 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Your on the right track. Jamie at Fuel Moto will take care of you !

Old 01-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 311 Likes on 181 Posts

+1 on Steve's input!

Quick Reply: Does it matter when you add stage 1?