Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uhaul motorcycle trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:12 PM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twodollarbill
Most guys I know that own trailers only use them 3 or 4 times a year.
I think friends sometimes use a trailer more than the owner.
You are correct! but when I do use mine, I also sleep in it when we get to where we're going.... have an air mattress, ac/heat and porta potty.... it's taken us to Kansas, state parks and will soon take us to thunder in the hills rally in Bandera! granted I could rent an open trailer for less, but this trailer I can do a lot with!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Coastiejosh
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a trailer of craigslist for $800 bucks, its a 5x8, single axle, open utility trailer and it works great. I let my friend borrow at all the time and it made a trip from sacramento, ca to miami, fl with no problems.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:19 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like everyone said, look around for a used one. I found a 5X10 utility trailer for 400 bux. New paint, new tires, and new tags. Just had to rewire it and add some better lights and a wheel chock. I have maybe 500 invested and have had many uses for it.

Last edited by glide2005; 01-12-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:21 PM
jpscscs
Novice

Try Kendon Trailers. they aren't the cheapest but when not in use they fold up. When you get to destination there is never a problem finding a parking place for the trailer. Just fold it up and back your truck into the parking place to guarantee no one takes it. I have trailered several bikes as long as 5 hours an Ironhorse, Chopper(modified the kendon to fit) and Harley Street Glide and no problems.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:24 PM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some u-haul renters dont want their trailers used for hauling anything with gas in it because of liabilty....so dont tell them, and most of them dont have any good way to strap bike in it without screwing 2x4s to the floor and drilling their floor to get eyelets in them to strap to... always way cheaper to bring the trailer back than just go one way

Old 01-12-2010, 05:37 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Keep you eyes open. $100 x 4times/year adds up. I don't trailer the bikes much. Many years ago I bought a 2 place open snowmobile trailer for $100. It gets used a couple times a month. An enclosed trailer would get used more often.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 PM
NECaveman
Tourer

I have checked into the U-Haul motorcycle trailers also. I would not pull one across country. I went to rent two of them on two occasions and the yard wanted me to take two really PoS ragged out trailers. I am not sure about the small diameter tires, seem like they are not good for a long haul. Plus, no spare tire. Do some searches online and you will find a lot of good trailers.

Here are a few of the links I have been looking through for a while. I like the Sport Utility Trailer in the third link Model 749TC-1TS76M.

Try these links:
Various options: http://www.motorcycletrailer.com/

Kendon makes a real good stand up/fold up trailer: http://kendonusa.com/

Another link with stand up/fold up/tilt bed trailers: http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/

Old 01-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain

Stay away from the U-Haul for long distances...Works pretty well, but the one time I used it from MD to FL and Back, had a blowout on one of those little tires. they don't like Highway speeds. It is easy to load on the positive side. I have owned a Kendon Single Rail fold up for over 10 years. It works great, tracks great and easy to store in the garage. With the Wheel Chock it is pretty easy to load. Used it on many trips, lets me take the bike on long business trips where I need the Truck and lets me relax in my downtime with the bike.

Also comes in handy when I need to take the bike in or pick it up from maint and I can't find a ride the other direction.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:55 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Go with a enclosed trailer, you won't be sorry. You can buy a used one worth the money.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:31 AM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I rented a low-boy 6'x12' open U-Haul trailer to retrieve the two tourers in my sig...lots of tie points, and hell-built for stout! I'd first reserved a 5'x9' and was gonna 1-way it from SE Portland to Tacoma ($55). Decided I needed the bigger unit, but they wouldn't 1-way the 6'x12' trailers. Ended up renting it here for 1-day ($29). I guess it cost me a bit more in gas hauling the trailer both ways, but it was a great decision. The 8 high quality ratcheting tie-downs was the other great decision.

Last edited by PKellyMc; 01-13-2010 at 07:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Uhaul motorcycle trailer