Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uhaul motorcycle trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 03:36 PM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Uhaul motorcycle trailer

Been thinking about getting a trailer for my 08 UC but decent ones
can be expensive ( would not want to put my $26K bike on a Craig's list $300 one).
Thought that the U-haul one might be an option if I only use it 3 to 4 times a year
for very long trips only. What do you guys think about a rental trailer such as teh U-haul one. Of course, if one is to be gone many days per trip then it would not be so cheap,
so I am only considering long trips where I would be gone 3 dyas or so.

http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.asp...pentrailer-5x9

Old 01-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Bluetoys
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhhh... I bet you are gonna hear about another option... poke poke poke.

As far as a trailer for when your bike breaks down and you need to take it far away for a few days to repair it ...
rent the U-haul on one way trip, drop it off and reserve it for the time you are gonna return.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:03 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluetoys
Uhhh... I bet you are gonna hear about another option... poke poke poke.

As far as a trailer for when your bike breaks down and you need to take it far away for a few days to repair it ...
rent the U-haul on one way trip, drop it off and reserve it for the time you are gonna return.
Check carefully before you do this - one-way rates are sometimes much, much higher than local ones. U-Haul figures on having to haul it back.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:04 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Used the U-haul 5X9 ramp trailer when I moved from So Cal to Vegas and again when I went from Phoenix to Portland (made 3 trips and just rode when i went from Vegas to Phoenix). Worked great every time. 1st time I pulled it behind a p/u and the 2nd time behind a U-haul truck. Don't think I paid more than 100 bucks either time.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:08 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

We have a Ford Explorer and U-Haul refused to rent us a motorcycle trailer, due to BS lawsuits with this SUV many years ago. They have no problem with the Mountaineer but don't wanna hear about the Explorer. Same friggin' SUV, just a different name, you morons!
Anyway, since U-Haul motorcycle trailers are junk, it was no big deal. I'm talking about the small red motorcycle trailers they rent for 15 or 20 bucks a day.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 01-12-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:12 PM
bruce sg08
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on checking rates on one way rentals. Couldn't believe how expensive rentals could be, just couldn't bring myself to do it. I ended up buying a new 6x12 enclosed v nose for right under $3000 back in 03.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's your money, but if I were to use a bike trailer more than once a year, I'd buy one. You can get a utility trailer with chock and 6 D-ring tie downs for about $1,400 NEW. Maybe a couple of buddies can participate with you.

Danny D

Old 01-12-2010, 04:37 PM
ID VTWIN
Novice

I used the 5x9 ramp U-Haul ramp trailor a number of times when moving back and forth from our house in ID to our house in Southern UT, and it does work well. Trails well even at freeway speeds. One way rates, charged at 3 day minimum, were about $105 each time.
I would stay away from the U-Haul motorcycle trailor, small tires, very light, doesn't like freeway speeds.
As far as buying a trailor, the economy of that depends on how many times you are going to use it.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:59 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by c50plus
Thought that the U-haul one might be an option if I only use it 3 to 4 times a year
for very long trips only.
Most guys I know that own trailers only use them 3 or 4 times a year.
I think friends sometimes use a trailer more than the owner.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
jdallenemtp
Road Captain

Keep looking you can find a few good buys out there. You will use the trailer more than you would think, just because it is there.

Quick Reply: Uhaul motorcycle trailer