Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True-Track Steering Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

kornflake, read my thread on bagger wobble, for a description and explanation of it.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:25 AM
denalion22
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by true-track
We're looking for some feedback!

How many of you have thought, I sure could use a front steering stabilizer but couldn't find anything on the market for your Harley touring models?
I have... this might be the ticket I have been looking for to finally rid my self of the front end low speed wobble...

Old 07-25-2013, 01:03 PM
HDogg
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I just moved from a Fatboy to the SG.I noticed that the softail had a very wobbly front.I couldn't take my hands off even at very moderate speed but then again,it's my first Harley after 14 sportbikes and I accepted it as the norm.With the SG I found the front to being very stable.On day one as I was riding back from the dealers,put on the cruise control and took my hands off at 130km,it was rock steady
I've raced pocket rockets and I know how big a role the steering damper plays on these bikes at the speeds we come out of corners hard on the gas.In fact for the last few years,it's a standard fitment on these bikes.I've had Ohlins and HyprerPro dampers on my last few bikes.They usually come with a dial that you can tighten or loosen the damping with.Adjustment are made based on many things,riding style,track or road conditions and so on.Too tight and the the oscillation is going to transfer down the whole bike(not good) too loose and it's gonna shake it's head(tank slappers)
My point is,it's almost a must to have a steering damper on such machines but on the Harley I'm not entirely sure if you really need one especially on the baggers.But I was warned that the tourers have a tendency to weave at the back and I found that it does do that.I was also told that the later model have a tighter chassis and it's much improved.I've also been hearing about this TrueTrak stabilizer thingy.Does it really make a difference on the newer bikes?

Old 07-25-2013, 01:14 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

HDogg follow the link I gave in #21 above!

Old 07-25-2013, 02:09 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by denalion22
I have... this might be the ticket I have been looking for to finally rid my self of the front end low speed wobble...
If you have "front end low speed wobble" you have a mechanical problem- steering head adjustment/fall away, tire or balance ect.

Bagger wobble is a design fault that comes a higher speeds and higher g forces, low speed front end wobble is a something wrong.

Looks like your riding a RG, the MOCO released a different spec for the fall away for glides a year or so ago for the front end wobble.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:27 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just when I thought I was done with mods.... a rear stabilizer would be nice.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:33 PM
denalion22
Road Master

Originally Posted by XARAN
If you have "front end low speed wobble" you have a mechanical problem- steering head adjustment/fall away, tire or balance ect.

Bagger wobble is a design fault that comes a higher speeds and higher g forces, low speed front end wobble is a something wrong.

Looks like your riding a RG, the MOCO released a different spec for the fall away for glides a year or so ago for the front end wobble.
I took it in to the dealer and they say everything is good... they tighten the steering bolt and they checked the front tire balance... im lost... maybe i got to try a new dealer for a second opinion...

mind you it only does this at slow speeds and stops if i put my hands back on the bars....

other then that the bike handles extremely well

Old 07-25-2013, 04:38 PM
bubba455
Cruiser

Originally Posted by true-track
We're looking for some feedback!

How many of you have thought, I sure could use a front steering stabilizer but couldn't find anything on the market for your Harley touring models?
I have experienced severe tankslapping on my 2006 Ultra. Nearly threw me off the bike. Fully expected to be on the pavement. Have also experienced a hard front end wobble on my 2010 Ultra at speed. In all cases, the bikes had new tires and tight triple trees. There is definitely a design issue...

These bikes can be dangerous! I would buy a steering stabilizer in a minute if it were well made and proven to work.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:10 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
Another person who doesnt understand what a steering damper does.

You cant fight a true tankslapper with your arms, you dont have the strength or the reflexes.

http://youtu.be/LZ1srcQMa_0

A good damper should barely be detectable at the speeds that you can move the bars with your arms.
Ok!
1st on the above video you are comparing a showa fork High Dampener air shock to a touring bike with no air in front forks.
2nd the above video is a race course on one of the fastest free ride tracks in the world. We are on Harleys ..Do you ride at 220mph and faster? Slow down to 30mph within 40 yrds to make a right turn back up to 220mph. The point is made by your video but it is out of character towards the topic.
3rd you are comparing a stripped down almost 200hp bike to a 800+ pound Harley at 100hp loaded down. At 43 years of age I have ridden my entire life. Started at age 6 racing dirt bikes. As I got older went into streetbike road course races which was bad ***! anyway I digress. Never have I come close to tank slapping on a bike that was maintained and ridden right. Has anyone on here really had there Harley Davidson tank slap from normal riding? Or were there other factors involved? High speed on a Harley and chop throttle completely off with either a bad front tire or not serviced front suspension. Were they two up? Were they loaded down with weight? Was there fluids in the forks ever maintained? Just my $.02

Griff

Last edited by GriffinDenim13FLHX; 07-25-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:48 AM
HDogg
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

This maybe a question asked before but....what conclusively is the best stabilizer for the tourers?I know True Track claims to be the best and that one should not go for the cheap imitations but really,I 've seen some cheaper alternatives on Ebay,are they any good or should I subscribe to True Track's claims?

Quick Reply: True-Track Steering Stabilizer