Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swingarm movement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:05 PM
jm1211
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swingarm movement?

Guys, just pulled the rear tire off for inspections and checked the swingarm. The question is that I have side to side movement and I am wondering if this is normal. it is not much about 1/8 inch either right or left.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:19 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

1/8" left & right movement in the swingarm would be like 1/2" movement at the back edge of the tire....that seems like alot to me.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:56 PM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it just slide back and forth or does it make the rear of the swing arm move like Bill said, up to a 1/2 inch or so? 1/8 total back and forth is probably not a concern.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 PM
jm1211
Tourer

It is a side to side movement left - right if that makes sense.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:58 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

swing arm bushings are a piece of cake to install.
so easy a cave man could do it
seriously, very easy to do.
here is a link to a video that shows you how to do it...in real time too, bout a 45 minuite job.
Glide-Pro » Install

Old 02-07-2010, 07:58 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Swing arm

Let me clarify that I am not at your house looking at your bike. I am going by your information I think you are saying. I could interpret it 100% wrong.

Your problem may not be the isolators (I do not know sitting here). If your swing arm is moving side to side in the pivot shaft or swing arm bearings than something is loose either on the shaft or something is amiss with your rubber mount/isolators (doubtful but check).

Let me start by telling you that any movement of the axle axis side to side must be fixed immediately and you have a serious problem (providing the axle/tire/brake assembly is tight). I get asked to testify in cases where people have either died or injured due to rear steer on a HD product. FYI, no I do not testify.

Your swing arm can not move side to side (left to right) without the trans moving as well. The pivot shaft goes through the trans than through the swing arm. Think about it. Of course your trans may be wallowed out but highly doubtful. Your isolators are bolted into a housing that has a roll pin to prevent turning. There is a steel plate that is vulcanized to the rubber isolator that bolts onto the shaft using the pivot shaft nut. If the isolator plate broke off of the rubber than the pivot shaft can move in a circle (up/down & front/rear) on two planes. It can not move on the third axis (left or right). The rubber isolator is a spacer that is compressed and will prevent this. You also need to check your front motor mount.

If you are saying that your swing arm moves left to right at the axle 1/8", than the problem may be due to movement either inside of the swing arm or in the isolators themselves. It takes very little movement (in degrees) at the pivot shaft to produce a large movement at the axle. As stated previously, do not ride the bike until this is fixed.

How to fix:
  1. Get or make a jack (found here LINKY How To Fabricate an Inexpensive Motorcycle Scissor Jack for Your Table Lift PDF Download
    1. You may use a floor motorcycle jack also if you have one, securing your motorcycle to it.
  2. Secure the front of the bike and wheel with a wheel vice or equivalent and secure the forks to something stable ie: eye bolts into your floor or work on 3/4" plywood & bolt a wheel chalk and eye bolts into it. I use a lift table.
  3. Jack the rear up on the frame (the cross member location works well) than cut a 7" 2x4 than support the motor by a 2nd jack. Take all pressure off of the pivot shaft but leave the rear wheel resting on the ground.
  4. Pull the pressed in (round) caps than remove the mounting bracket (Pivot End Caps) making sure you note the position of the hole in the rubber mount & bracket, than inspect the rubber mount (isolator).
  5. Try to move the vulcanized plate from the rubber mount to see it it has separated.
  6. If it has not than you may wish to R&R your swing arm and inspect what is inside for wear/damage.
  7. Instructions can be found here (& no you do not need to pull your inner/outer primary) for this job. (LINKY) Instructions How-To R & R your Swing arm PDF Download
  8. The photo below is for parts reference only and not for your application without further clarification, by the way, welcome to my world of dirty hands, sweat, and foul language.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:04 PM
jm1211
Tourer

Guys thanks for the help. Fast Harley does the different style bushings add vibration to the bike? Also I do have the progressive link and I heard I should not do both but I don't remeber from where. Also after I pulled off the tire and inspected it (150 -18r) I noticed that the belt has been rubbing. I am thinking this is also because of the swingarm movement. Correct??

Old 02-07-2010, 02:43 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

You do not need different bushings, do not let others sell you something you do not need. You already have bearings and spacers. No need to change style because they work. If you wish to firm up your isolators than you can do it for around $50~$60 and not in the $350 range. This is if everything is all good.

Obviously something is wrong and you can find that out for free as I showed you how to do it. I just did it a few days ago because a mechanic striped out a drum support pier bolt so it had to come out for drilling and taping after welding it up. Do not forget the belt, repeat to yourself & use a yellow sticky on your nose!

Get off the couch and grab the wrenches!

Old 02-07-2010, 02:49 PM
jm1211
Tourer

Thanks Howard. Looks like I got another project!! Don't mind the work just would hate to spend a lot of cash so probably start this one next weekend. i would today but I think I will watch the superbowl instead. Thanks!

Old 06-14-2017, 07:44 PM
Richard Scooter Engelbrecht
Stage II
Default Trans wallowed

So I've determined that my trans is wallowed out where the swingarm shaft goes through, is there a fix for this? Has anyone remedied this before?

Quick Reply: swingarm movement?