Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure blowing out the seal around filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:55 AM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default oil pressure blowing out the seal around filter

Also took out a pressure sending unit.
Wtf?
I have no idea where to start
Thanx

Old 02-14-2010, 03:45 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil flows from the sump to the oil pump, past the oil sending unit, then to the oil filter and finally to the engine, if there is a blockage of flow between the pump and the high pressure relief valve or if the valve is malfunctioning that would cause a problem, normal pressure should be around 35-40 psi.

Last edited by fireaxxe; 02-14-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:14 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by mrnone
Also took out a pressure sending unit.
Wtf?
I have no idea where to start
Thanx
Sticking oil pressure relief valve? Maybe an out of spec spring or restricted return port?

Old 02-14-2010, 07:39 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Sticking oil pressure relief valve? Maybe an out of spec spring or restricted return port?
This is your problem!The early oil pumps Shovel and Evo style had this problem.Then the solution was pull the relief valve out and polish it with emery cloth.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you, by chance, install a new air filter and backing plate recently?? If so, make sure that the bolts used to hold the backing plate on are hollow(vented) If they're not, excessive pressure will build up in the crankcase and cause problems similar to what you're experiencing.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:33 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead3
Did you, by chance, install a new air filter and backing plate recently?? If so, make sure that the bolts used to hold the backing plate on are hollow(vented) If they're not, excessive pressure will build up in the crankcase and cause problems similar to what you're experiencing.
Some air cleaners (SE Heavy Breather) require using the stock breather bolts. I had a stage 1 done and then went to a heavy breather a year later. When I was installing the HB I didn't read the directions well enough and missed the part about using stock breather bolts. Within the first mile my oil pressure pegged at 60 and oil was leaking from every where. Installed the stock ones and haven't had a problem since. Not sure what mods you have, but if you've made any recently read the directions thoroughly.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:14 PM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I doubt that it's crankcase pressure. That wouldn't blow out the sending unit and the oil filter gasket which is caused by pressure coming from the oil pump. What year is your bike? Does it have the early cam chain tensioners? Could be foreign material in the pressure relief valve causing it to stick and your abnormally high oil pressure. If you have the old style setup, and in excess of 20k miles, it wouldn't be a bad idea to pull that down and inspect. You need to go there anyhow and you can kill two birds with one stone.

Old 02-14-2010, 01:12 PM
mrnone
Road Master

wow, the calvary to the rescue.
ok this is the skinny on my scoot.
2005 flhti glide standard.
2 into 1 V&H k&n filter with later model breathers.
2 weeks ago i burnt a hole in the piston lip on a long ride.
blew my dipstick out got another dipstick blew it out got another stick drilled and tapped a hole for a lanyard. no more replacing it. for some reason it also quit blowing out. i don't need to look for a place to set it down when i check my oil it just hangs straight down. nice when u r checking the oil every 1/2 hour.... well i had massive blow by still so i did compression check. 60 in the rear 150 up front. pulled both barrels found the burnt piston and replaced eveything in top end but the rocker boxes which i rebuilt. low miles take offs i got off craigslist for 100 bux. fired it up ran perfect not dripping a drop. got her hot enough to change the oil when i did the ring blew around the filter. i was on the road so i stuck it back in and bought another filter. rode 100 miles popped that seal again im on the road so i stuffed it back in again and rode home from hollywood no problems no leaks still holding havent started it this morning but i am going to put a big reservoir under it b4 i do. (sorry to the guy in the black car parked next to me last night....it should just wipe off with soap and water) here is a pic of piston i replaced

Old 02-15-2010, 02:46 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
An out-of-spec spring would either mean the relief valve would either be stuck open, resulting in low oil pressure mainly at idle, or if someone changed the spring and replaced it with one that yields a higher spring load (which is highly unlikely btw) this could cause the relief valve not to open causing high pressure, the most common cause of a relief valve malfunctioning is being "stuck" in the closed position so to reiterate yes a sticking oil pressure relief valve "could possibly" be the culprit and since this engine has suffered severe damage to the piston i would check the oil flow system first would not be surprised of you got some metal stuck in a jet or passageway somewhere. Keep us posted on what u find mrnone.

Last edited by fireaxxe; 02-15-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:40 AM
mrnone
Road Master

I caN GET THIS FOR $429 PLUS $18 FOR A SPACER
this will replace the pump, relief valve, the silly cam chain tensioners.
is this a good idea ?
harley part from website
.pdf file with diagrams and part numbers

Quick Reply: oil pressure blowing out the seal around filter