Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with broken / bruised tailbone

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:12 AM
mopar400
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Riding with broken / bruised tailbone

One advantage of winter / snow is its giving me time to heal.
Don’t know if it broken or just bruised really bad, in either case there is nothing they do for you.

Hoping to get the scoot back on the road here soon in March.
In Wisconsin you never know, I’ve seem snow as late as Memorial Day.
Question is has anyone one out there have any suggestion on ways not to aggravate the already sore tail bone. Tailbone is way better than it was back in November, that giving it four months to heal, but what happens when I get back on the bike. It still can be a little tender sitting here at the desk working, god only knows once I back on the bike.
Do I bite the bullet and get a road zeppelin, or take a lot of aspirin and bite my lip.
Any experience out there.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 AM
sdwold
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shattered my tailbone several years back and it still aggrivates me to this day. I've just learned to limit my time sitting to about 100 miles, then take a 5 -10 minute break. Naprocen seems to help the most on those longer rides.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:19 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

A donut pillow works in the car but you would look pretty silly using it on a bike.

I had a bruised tailbone last year and it took many months to get pain free.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:24 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mopar400
Don’t know if it broken or just bruised really bad, in either case there is nothing they do for you.

Question is has anyone one out there have any suggestion on ways not to aggravate the already sore tail bone. Tailbone is way better than it was back in November, that giving it four months to heal, but what happens when I get back on the bike. It still can be a little tender sitting here at the desk working, god only knows once I back on the bike.
Do I bite the bullet and get a road zeppelin, or take a lot of aspirin and bite my lip.
Assuming THEY being a doctor. The doctor said to you, there was no way anything could be done for you? Or are you assuming the doctor will tell you that? In either case, if you haven't seen a doctor and there is more than what you think wrong with you, I couldn't and wouldn't offer any suggestions for riding.

Last edited by shortride; 02-26-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:28 AM
big_e78
Cruiser

I have this gel pad for sale on eBay. It's really comfortable and it has a cutout where your tailbone sits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMESELX%3AIT

I'm a short guy so it didn't work for me.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:28 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am hoping you had it xrayed. If it's fractured, perhaps there is nothing much they can do for you .. they can't cast you for that ... It will just take time and patience and it will heal ... BUT .. If it's broken ... especially if a bone fragment has broken loose ... they CAN do something for that.

If it's bothering you a lot ... Perhaps knowing if it's broken or bruised may help to find out what exactly they CAN do for you. Go see your doctor!!!

Old 02-26-2010, 11:33 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mopar400

Sorry to hear about your tailbone. I compressed mine 3 years ago in a motorcycle accident and it still bothers me to this day. I was told by my doctor that the tailbone never really heals. It's never a sharp pain, just a dull ache that comes and goes. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:37 AM
lorenc
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My tailbone isnt broken but has always been sensitive. Here is a link to my solution:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...bone-pain.html

Old 02-27-2010, 07:08 AM
WI Bob
Road Master

Originally Posted by lorenc
My tailbone isnt broken but has always been sensitive. Here is a link to my solution:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...bone-pain.html
I have had a broken "off" tailbone since I was 17. It took years to be pain free even at that young age.

I would say that I didn't want any pressure on it during that time. And the above solution would surely be worth a try.

Bob