Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Street Glide - Any tail light upgrades available?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:06 PM
ehans
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jiggs57
Those driving cars are simply looking for something to light up brightly, or they're not looking at all
Usually they aren't looking at all. I want a braking system that when I apply the brakes, a strobe light show that would trigger an epileptic seizure launches while a large horn aimed backwards sounds and rubber pellets are shot back onto the windshield of the car following me.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:21 PM
10streetglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of good information, thanks new 2010 owner

Old 06-09-2010, 06:07 AM
Burch
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the smoked lense covers on my signal lights, and to make it darker, I put the Silverstar lights in (both front and rear) since they don't have an amber bulb. These make everything MUCH brighter. I know when I'm going down the road at night I can see a hint of amber light close to the bike on the front, and when I check blind spots I can see a considerable amount of light from the back. Just my $0.02 but I think this would help w/o having to do any drastic changes.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:25 AM
Hunter2678
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jiggs57
I'm actually quite surprised about this....someone wanting to ADD a light. Most try to relocate, blackout or remove the blocky rear lights. The 2010 setup is quite a bit brighter than the previous models. I think that, as Harley riders, we let the fact that we are used to a big, rectangle brake light skew our perspective about what car driver's can see. That is - as motorcyclists, we're LOOKING for that big square brake light and think it's odd when it's missing. Those driving cars are simply looking for something to light up brightly, or they're not looking at all...either way they're not looking for the "traditional" brake light. This is especially true considering that other, non-harley's have a variety of different brake light designs and locations.
With that said, the 2010 setup is much more effective, as it is quite a bit brighter. Rest assured, you're just as safe, if not more, as you would be on an 09.
+2, my mom is as blind as a bat and commented on how bright the OEM rear lights are on mine, esp during the day.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:13 PM
ehans
Tourer

Well, got the load equalizer and finally had a chance to install it today. No workie. I called Badlands (their parts) and he explained the problem. The LED's go on, but don't brighten or dim. He said without the load equalizer, they should blink fast and that is what the LE fixes. If they just stay on, then he said the polarity in the rear light assembly is reversed. So, new bike - I'll take it to HD and they can either fix the polarity or refund the $190 total price of the lights and LE. I'm not taking all of that apart to swap wires around.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adding lights to your 2010 SG

Check out Plasma Rods from custom dynamics. They are virtually hidden and can be used as stop lights or run, stop, directionals as well.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...asma-rods.html

Old 06-22-2010, 06:38 PM
ehans
Tourer

Took the bike and lights back to the dealer today. First parts guy looked deeply into the lights and said they must be bad and wanted to swap them out. Fortunately, a guy from maint was walking buy and he said "Yup, he's right, polarity. Ran across that last week on another bike." Said it would take 5 min to fix.

An hour and a half later, we were on our way. Apparently the 2010's have totally different wiring than the 2009's so it involved soldering and considerably more time. But it was the polarity wrong from the factory.

Another upside is had him look at my 2009 FLHRC's front tire. Didn't have to say a word. "Yup. cupping, bring it in Saturday and we'll swap it out."