Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the klock werks windshield solve the buffiting on the Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:15 PM
georgemcghee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

alot of that air is coming from under the fairing, put your arm across your chest while at speed and see how much wind is cut down. if thats where it is coming from try the mid frame wind deflector worked for me. i put the fork wind deflectors on but did not like the look and the mid frame deflector worked just as good. i have a 8in. windshield and the mid frame deflector and the ride is great.

The following users liked this post:
Hawg295 (05-03-2016)
Old 04-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Guardian
I'm over 6' and the stock one is fine to me. What oh what would you do if you were riding a shieldless or fairingless bike?

Aside from my rant, my buddy got that klockwerks and it worked for him.
You could have just said "I don't know what buffeting is", and left it at that, because it's clear you don't.

I've owned a '00 Road King and use to ride without the windshield on a daily basis. The turbulence created by the presence of the fairing is a completely different animal than "riding in the wind". The buffeting on my current RG is worse than anything I'd ever experienced on my '07 Street Glide, which was worse than anything I'd ever, EVER experienced while "riding in the wind" on my RK. Buffeting was non-existent on the RK.

The Klockwerks shield on my RG, while better than stock and better than HD's version of that design (the Windsplitter) still leaves a LOT to be desired.

[EDIT]
Just ordered a Windvest 14", so I'll have a 12" Klockwerks up for sale once the new one arrives and I get it installed.

Last edited by Phurion; 04-09-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:18 PM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm 6' as well and have the HD 6 1/2" fairing (same as klockworks). With the stock seat it rattled the hell out my sunglasses. I don't wear a helmet but imagine that with one it would have made me crazy.

Yesterday I installed the HD Brawler seat. I sit more upright now and about 2-3" lower. The shield is about perfect at highway speeds now.

Previous comments about the wind coming from below the tank is spot on. I had a pretty heavy headwind coming home from buying the bike and was going mad with the buffeting. It was greatly diminished by putting my feet up on the crash bars and knees against the tank. I think that will be less noticeable now that i'm down and back a bit more with the new seat.

Essentially at 6' you're going to want the 8 1/2" windshield. If you have a lower seat you may get by with the 6 1/2.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:38 PM
racerdj
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phurion
while "riding in the wind" on my RK. Buffeting was non-existent on the RK.
[EDIT]
Just ordered a Windvest 14", so I'll have a 12" Klockwerks up for sale once the new one arrives and I get it installed.
Exactly

Old 04-09-2010, 03:54 PM
HRP
Intermediate

I have a 2010 SG and just removed the stock 4" and put on the 8 1/2" Klock Werks windshield. I'm 6' with a Danny Gray BigSeat solo. The wind is much quieter now, not gone but much better.
I like the 4" stock and will put it back on for around town and short runs. I think the stock looks better. But on trips I will use the KW's.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:31 PM
BC Glide
Cruiser

6.5" Klock works, I'm more than happy with it I'm 5'11".

Old 04-09-2010, 09:12 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

My 6.5 KW is much better than the stock was once i get over 45mph until about 70-75mph and then its not so great.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:27 PM
dklanecky
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phurion
Never had one on my SG, but did put the 12" on my new RG.

It makes the buffeting worse if you ask me. Sure, it's better than the 5" stock P.O.S. that comes on the '10 FLTRX Customs, but I'm 6' and it puts the wind right into my forehead. Add a full face helmet into the mix and I get whiplash on windy days, not to mention all the noise generated by the shield + ff helm.

I'm sure this didn't answer your question, but just offering an opinion. I don't think the KW shield is worth the $$ and certainly doesn't live up to the hype in my book.
I had the exact same experience with the KW 12" on 2009 RG. Maybe the 16inch would get the air high enough, but those are big bucks.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:29 PM
09sungloflhx
Cruiser

one thing i can say is the cee baileys does its awesome

Old 04-09-2010, 09:39 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm 5' 10" and using Sundowner seat. The 6.5 Klockwerks does the job better than anything I have tried. Much better than 9.5 recurve.

G-

Quick Reply: Does the klock werks windshield solve the buffiting on the Street Glide?