Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission did something strange today

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 12:26 AM
BugBYter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Transmission did something strange today

I rode about 10 miles and stopped for gas. After I filled up I started the bike, shifted into 1st and parked in front of the store. I thought I shifted into neutral before I shut it off (I always do). Spent about 10 minutes in store. Came out got on bike turned ignition on and noticed the neutral light wasn't on. Here's where it got strange.

Tried to shift into neutral from what I assumed was 1st and shift lever would not move. Tried to shift into first and only took up the slack in the transmission. It just felt wrong. There was no real spring tension on the shift lever.

I reached down and tried shifting using the heel shifter with my left hand. Wouldn't go. Rocked the bike a bit and kept wiggling the shifter and it suddenly shifted into 2nd. Shifted by hand to 3-4-5 and back to 1st. Popped it into neutral. Started bike and rode home. Shifted fine.

First thing I checked was transmission fluid. Amsoil 75/90 synthetic. With 13,000 miles on it, it is still too clean to see on the chrome dipstick. I have to lay it on a rag to see the wet spot.

Clutch and primary chain were adjusted 3k miles ago.

I rode it another 125 miles and it is shifting fine. I was gentle at first but then decided that if it was going to break... break it near the house... so I romped it for a while.

Any ideas? Or did I just find a freak spot when I "partially" shifted to neutral and it's a 1 time deal? Or is it like the old 3 speeds on the column?

Specs: 2005 Ultra, 88CI, 5 speed xmsn, 43,600 miles.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:35 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 604 Likes on 326 Posts

I think you found it,s Freaky spot..if it is working ride it..

Old 04-11-2010, 05:57 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That happens to me at times, especially if I am parked on a slight uphill or downhill grade. I just as you say rock the bike either forward or back just a C hair and then it allows me to shift into neutral without an issue. Never thought it to be a problem though.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:40 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Ranger
rock the bike either forward or back just a C hair
Black or Red ?

Old 04-11-2010, 06:42 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 310 Likes on 181 Posts

Keep on riding and see if it repeats itself and I bet you will be fine.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dc
Black or Red ?
Red of course :-D

Old 04-11-2010, 01:14 PM
BugBYter
Tourer

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
I think you found it,s Freaky spot..if it is working ride it..

That's what I want to believe. But know from experience that crap like this normally bites you in the ***... miles from home.. in the dark... on a back road... in the rain... no cell phone service.... and banjos in the background .

But the way the shift forks work I don't see how it could get completely locked up without something breaking. So if it works now it's not broken.

I'll go with that... till it breaks.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:22 PM
BugBYter
Tourer

Originally Posted by Road Ranger
That happens to me at times, especially if I am parked on a slight uphill or downhill grade. I just as you say rock the bike either forward or back just a C hair and then it allows me to shift into neutral without an issue. Never thought it to be a problem though.

What you're talking about is normal. The shift lever had a much different feel to it. It felt "dead" if that makes any sense.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:23 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BugBYter
That's what I want to believe. But know from experience that crap like this normally bites you in the ***... miles from home.. in the dark... on a back road... in the rain... no cell phone service.... and banjos in the background .

If you left off the 'miles from home' part, your description means mine would break pretty close to the house!!!

Old 04-11-2010, 01:37 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does that sometime when I leave the house and the bike is cold. Shift into first and it doesn't want to come out and go into 2nd so I slow down a little and pull the clutch in a couple times while keeping tension on the shifter. It always comes out of 1st and into neutral or 2nd.

I figure it's just normal wear and tear of the trans. It doesn't do this when warm or hot.

Quick Reply: Transmission did something strange today