Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor freight motorcycle jack problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:38 PM
vette
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Luv my H F jack. Works GREAT.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Vettepro
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the HF aluminum lift because I wanted something light and it looked sort of cool.
What a POS. It is SOOO unstable it's scary.
I made some aluminum bars to put under each end of the pad to stop it rocking back and forth. There is absolutely no way I would work on the bike without the extra stabilizer bars.
I actually may take it back and get the steel one. It's one third the price too!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought the steel HF jack because it has the same Hyd bottle that J&S and Pitbull uses from China. Works great for me. It's easy to replace if it ever goes bad. I did my tire changes on it. Great jack for 70.00 bucks.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:48 PM
flhtupser
Tourer

I had the Harbor Freight and replaced it with a J&S and it is WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY better. No comparison in my opinion. It is way more solid with no wobble and you can lower it as slow as you like. I never felt good with my bike on the H.F. Nevr worry with the J&S.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:51 PM
tgshoe
Road Captain

I have the HF jack and have no problems. I paid $59 for it new. Sometimes peoples peace of mind is directly proportional to the amount of money they spent. I mean it cost 5 or 6 times as much therefore it has to be better.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:56 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Yes it seems odd, but the HF jack lowers in a kind of "opposite" effect w/the pedal. If you push it down a little - the thing drops & if you push it down all the way - it drops slowly. The mod definitely helps...

Don't want to start another "jack war" but I had one of the discount jacks & traded it for my J&S. There is a huge difference in quality and it's not all about the allmighty $$$. Like vtwin1340 said - you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Iceman24; 04-15-2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-16-2010, 01:23 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by faapilot
Sure, it costs a little more $$$ but well worth it as I cannot readily afford a new bike if it falls off a cheap jack like the HF or Sears models.
I've haven't heard of any bikes falling off these jacks. Has anyone else?

Old 04-16-2010, 01:31 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerm21
I have the harbor freight jack and you do have to be careful with the pedal. It’s a little counterintuitive.

BUT – it’s a good solid jack and the bike is very stable when on it. I got my jack for a smidge over 50 bucks... is the S&S jack better... I'm sure, but I don't consider it 7 times as expensive as “a little more”.

Yes, the bike was 20 grand… but for the guys who need a jack for basic maintenance the HF jack works just fine.

just my 2 cents
I'll second what you're saying here. I don't have a HF jack, but rather another Chinese-made jack that I bought 15 years ago. I works fine and has had no issues, so I can't see the advantage of buying a $350 jack when a $50 one will work well, unless you do a lot of jacking and the expensive model has a feature that makes the high price justifiable. I'm into getting what I need for the best price, not necessarily the most expensive on the market, and I couldn't care less if it is made in China or not, as most Chinese products are good quality. It's the few bad apples in the cart that you hear about on the news. A jack is for jacking-up the bike, and if a $50 one will do that without collapsing I'll buy it--that is unless somebody makes a $40 jack that does the same job. My 2¢.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:33 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just saw these at the AZ Bike week.

Looks like a good product, I am going to get rid of my yellow sears jack for this one

http://www.pitbullmotorcyclelifts.com/

Quick Reply: Harbor freight motorcycle jack problem?