Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra losing all electric

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:07 PM
btrauth
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra losing all electric

I have a 02 Ultra that is tripping the circuit breaker for some reason. I have already replaced it to the 50 that HD had in recall. It does it very sporatic while riding down the road. It does it while you are not hitting bumps also, you may be going down hill and it will trip and within a minute it resets and off you go.Was wondering if anyone had this happen to them or khow of some fix other than just replacing the breaker which I have already done. Also it has no modifacation other than factory lighting and stereo. Driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 12:32 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Take a look at those crimp connectors on the wires that attach to the circuit breaker. In fact, wouldn't be a bad idea just to make new connections......soldered would be best. There have been quite a few cases reported where those connectors were bad causing increased resistance and tripping that breaker. Some folks have reported that they replaced the circuit breaker with one of those large blade fuses. Do a search on this and you'll find more information and a few pics.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:03 PM
btrauth
Stage III

I have been seaching around on this forum and have had some really good ideas on here. The one that stands out the most is relocating the breaker to the fuse box area is the one that sounds the best. Most are saying the location of it next to the rear cylinder is causing to much heat and letting the breaker open up which being a electrician for 15 years makes the most since. Thanks for all the help out there. I hope this fixes it

Old 04-20-2010, 01:27 PM
HDBagger93
Cruiser

You need to find out why the breaker is tripping. I had the main 40A fuse blow on my 04 Ultra in Milwaukee twice. Luckily it was during the 105th Celebration in the parking lot for the House of Harley and there were many mechanics there. I am not sure if your electrical line from the battery is the same as an 04 but the ignition switch could be intermittently shorting, check the other lines from the positive terminal there should be one going to the starter that I heard can have the connection loosen and that could cause high resistance. The fuse option is not a good one, they are $10 a piece and if you carry 2 for spares you might blow your 2nd spare in the middle of nowhere. I like circuit breakers because you can reset them. One other thing you could check is all the harness connections for dirt. There could be some dirt under one that could cause this. After 10 hours of Harleys best Service reps working on my bike they decided my trip down a dirt road scenic byway had to the cause. The bike has not blown a fuse since August 27th, 2008 but I make sure I clean the harness as much as I can. I carry 2 fuses just incase. good luck

Old 04-20-2010, 04:03 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Check all your grounds also! They have been known to get loose!

Old 04-20-2010, 04:10 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Dont move the breaker, there's no need, replace the silver ring terminal AND the yellow heat shrink with a new one from HD, there was an issue in 02 with the rings themselves. Ive done it on several and told several others and it has fixed everyone!