Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Mount--Handlebars Vs Fuel Tank Door

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:24 PM
StanfordMan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Mount--Handlebars Vs Fuel Tank Door

I have a Tom Tom GPS that I want to use on my Street Glide for an upcoming ride. I'm wondering if there are pluses and minuses to consider in terms of buying a mount that goes on the handlebars versus a mount that goes on the fuel tank door (like the one Kuryakyn makes)?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:41 PM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on my Ultra I did several rides with the included suction cup mount that came with the Garmin but never trusted it. Never had a problem just didn't trust it.

I purchased the Ram Mount handlebar mount and quick disconnect from the www.mountguys.com. They shipped quick, good price and the mount is top notch. Very secure, easy to adjust for just the right viewing angle. I am sure there are many threads on this but I love the handlebar mount.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:41 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 702 Likes on 349 Posts

Mine is on the bars, I don't like the idea of looking down to see the GPS. The closer to your line of sight, the better IMO.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:53 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordMan
...I'm wondering if there are pluses and minuses to consider...
I have used both. I did not like the idea of spending that much time looking down to see the screen on the gas cap mount...especially while moving.

Now it's just the handle bar mount for me.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:54 PM
2D3K1H1B1HIM
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished the process...mounted on windshield too much vibration...mounted on tank way too low eyes off the road....Ram mount 3" shaft on powerlet perfect with a power source right there looks good but expensive.....mounted a Garmin nuvi 765t.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:03 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by StanfordMan
I have a Tom Tom GPS that I want to use on my Street Glide for an upcoming ride. I'm wondering if there are pluses and minuses to consider in terms of buying a mount that goes on the handlebars versus a mount that goes on the fuel tank door (like the one Kuryakyn makes)?
Mounted mine on handlebars with RAM mount.. Quicker line-of-sight...plus, my passenger can see it.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:29 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I prefer the faring mount. You don't have to really take your eyes off the road to look at it. I got my at the HD Dealer.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:13 PM
SeabeeMC
Intermediate

Mounted mine on using mount on clucth mounting brackets. Don't think I would like the tank mount option. I find it easier to check Speed on GPS unit than speedo now. less time eyes are off road.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:38 PM
StanfordMan
Tourer

Great responses--thanks to everyone that has posted so far. SealBeachBum, you say you mounted yours to the fairing with an HD accessory. Did you buy both the GPS unit and its fairing mount from HD or does the fairing mount come separately? I'm asking because I already havd a Tom Tom GPS unit, and I'm wondering if you are saying that HD makes a fairing mount that will work with my Tom Tom? Also, how does it mount to the fairing--did you have to drill holes or does it just clasp onto the fairing for easy on and off usage? Thanks.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:38 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for handlebar mount. Never had a tank mount, but keeping vision forward vs. downward has to be a good thing.

Quick Reply: GPS Mount--Handlebars Vs Fuel Tank Door