Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With a Power Commander V with Auto Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Coduckhunter
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trims are working I just dont have the map right.

Attached Thumbnails Help With a Power Commander V with Auto Tune-afr-tables.jpg  
Old 05-03-2010, 09:11 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

No wonder....you need new AFR tables. Wow...who did that?

I can't post mine now, as I'm on my work computer, but if you click on the link to the other post above you will see ICLICK's tables. Just change your AFR values for his...except I wouldn't go any leaner in the cruise range than 14.4 unless you have an oil cooler. Depending on where you ride of course.

Save the new AFR values for both cylinders, clear the previous trims, save the map under a new file name and send it to the PCV.

Then go ride....AT should do the rest. If you get any pinging or knocking then I would first try lowering AFR values a bit in the range I suspected the ping occurred. Then I would adjust the timing + or - in 1 % increments until it went away. When you start playing with timing you should probably head to the dyno....but you say cash is a factor....so it will pay to have patience and play with it a bit.

Last edited by 09StreetGlider; 05-03-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Coduckhunter
6th Gear
Default Hope this works

Ok I changed to Iclick tables but I only went to 14.2 I will take it on long ride as soon as possible.

Thanks for all the help
I hope jammie reads this and puts his 2 cents in.
I will take all the help I can get.
O by the way I am in Southern Colorado

Last edited by Coduckhunter; 05-03-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:26 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Yep, that's the culprit. Simple fix. Let us know how it does.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:42 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Whoever set-up your target AFR tables missed by 1000 RPM's. The 14.5 values should start at 2000, not 3000, and make sure they stay lean to 15% TP. The rule-of-thumb is to lean AFR's in the cruise-range (2000-3000rpms and 5-15% throttle-position), which will improve mileage as long as you keep your wrist out of the throttle. If you set them to 14.2 you shouldn't have a big problem with heat, and you could go higher if you have an oil cooler installed. A link to my write-up has already been posted. With or without a cooler consider the map-switch option described in my write-up.

Last edited by iclick; 05-04-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Coduckhunter
6th Gear
Default I put in the new AFR tables

Well I put in Iclicks tables and road my bike to work and back about 65 miles round trip I only went up to 14.2 It seams to have made a big differance I will ride it for a couple more days. I will try to keep the wrist out of it and put a full tank so I will know how I am doing on the MPG

Thanks for all the help

Old 05-05-2010, 01:36 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

You were running 13.5:1 in the cruise range where you probably run most of the time, and that's way rich for mileage. It's good for cooling and that's where I have my rich base map set, but I wouldn't run it there all the time. Keep us posted, as that's probably going to do it for you. Experiment and find the sweet-spot for mileage and cooling for your taste.

Once you establish that mileage is better, you can taper your target AFR's in the 20-40% TP areas of the cruise range, but I would leave 60% and above alone. You want the performance when you twist the throttle, and you should be at 13.0 at 80-100% TP.

Add an oil cooler and you can run 14.6:1 except in heavy summer traffic. I took a ride today in 90° weather and at 50mph I was running 230-235° on the front head as long as I stayed moving, up to 245° or so when I got back into the stoplights, and saw only 200° max on oil temp. Those are good numbers IMO.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Humm, wondering if I should get an AT, I have the PCV.

My oil temps are running 230-240 in 90 deg air at 50-60 mph. This is with an HD premium cooler and Syn Oil (AMSOIL).

Old 05-08-2010, 04:02 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tx_Rider

My oil temps are running 230-240 in 90 deg air at 50-60 mph. This is with an HD premium cooler and Syn Oil (AMSOIL).
It's really a matter of preference. You can install a map switch for close to nothing and run two maps. One set up for cooling and another set up for fuel mileage. OR...you can run AT as described below and switch AT on and off with the switch so you can have the best of both worlds.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:13 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tx_Rider

Do you have the fairing-mounted or dipstick gauge? The latter tends to read high, from what I've read. I'm not sure why you're running oil temps this high at speed, as you're running a good synthetic oil and installed an oil cooler. Make sure the cooler thermostat is opening, which can be checked after the bike is warmed up. At that time the cooler should be hot from the oil circulating through it.

I agree with Tony. AT will not improve cooling if your PCV base map is correct to begin with. Do you buy your PCV from Fuel Moto? If so, you should be in good shape, but Tony's map-switch suggestion is a good one. That's one feature of the PCV that too few owners are taking advantage of, IMO.

Quick Reply: Help With a Power Commander V with Auto Tune