Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear shock leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:56 PM
SE120RG
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear shock leaking oil

I took my rear shocks off last weekend to make the removal of my rear tire and fender a little easier and while I was not paying attention, one of them tipped over and a little oil leaked out of the air line hole. That shock now has sprayed oil all over the place after being ridden. Did I ruin the shock and if not how do I fix it.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:39 PM
rshwetz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

faulty shock I had the same issue warranty took care of it. Get it changed

Old 06-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Mikind7
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a leaking shock at 20,000, esp warranty denied the repair, bought progressive 940s, haven't tried them yet but have heard lots of good reviews

Old 06-08-2010, 11:05 PM
August
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have completely rebuilt tin on a couple of harleys and replace a lot of rear tires and never did I find it necessary to remove the rear shocks.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:39 AM
SE120RG
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by August
I have completely rebuilt tin on a couple of harleys and replace a lot of rear tires and never did I find it necessary to remove the rear shocks.

I never said it was necessary, but for me, to take off the rear tire and rear fender, it made the job a little easier without the shocks in the way. Next time I have a question about whether I should remove a part or not I'll be sure to get your expert opinion.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:02 AM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheWhitedogg
I took my rear shocks off last weekend to make the removal of my rear tire and fender a little easier and while I was not paying attention, one of them tipped over and a little oil leaked out of the air line hole. That shock now has sprayed oil all over the place after being ridden. Did I ruin the shock and if not how do I fix it.
Where is the oil coming from when you ride? Is your air line in properly and holding pressure? It doesn't make a lot of sense that losing some oil would trash the shock.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by capt_caveman
Where is the oil coming from when you ride? Is your air line in properly and holding pressure? It doesn't make a lot of sense that losing some oil would trash the shock.

+1
If the seal is blown it'll leak out from the rubber boot.
Had mine replaced under warranty at 13,000 FWIW. The only way I noticed it, it got on my rear brake pad - SURPRISE! Luckily I don't use it too much..

Old 06-09-2010, 10:24 AM
mech8251
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine replaced under warranty along with the rear tire due to it blistering. (The oil in the shock will cause the tire to blister)

Old 06-09-2010, 12:17 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is the oil coming out of the top brass fitting area or the bottom area under the boot?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

As stated, where is the oil leaking from? If it is at the air line connection, snip off the end of the air line about 1/4" and reinsert it and check for leaks. Depending on the amount of oil lost, the shocks can be drained and refilled with new suspension fluid or shock out. I just replaced the oil in mine a couple of days ago and noticed a marked improvement by using 10W shock oil. Here are a few links 1 & 2 & 3 on methods and info of changing the air shock oil.

Quick Reply: Rear shock leaking oil