Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timken B-148 Inner Cam Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:02 PM
cpotts454
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timken B-148 Inner Cam Bearing

I am replacing the shoe tensioners on an 01 RK. I've read both ways that people suggest replacing the inner cam bearings with the Timken/Torrington B-148. Its not a money issue, $15 for a set is very reasonable, its I dont have the tools to pull and press the bearings in. My bike is stock, minus an upgraded exhaust. What are your thoughts on replacement? Do the outer bearings need to be replaced to?

I only plan on replacing the shoes... I may upgrade to the hydro tensioners if money allows, but no cam changes for HP or TQ.

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:45 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Replace the bearings, inner and outer

Old 06-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Anezangl
Cruiser

Your going to be in there so go ahead and replace all of them. Not hard really. Harbor Freight will sell you a slide hammer internal puller for a bout $19. It does a great job and will not drop any needles into your case. Freeze the new bearings a few hours before install, lube them real good and push them in on the end of the cam, ( then put your cams back in plate after you have changed tensioners ) maybe a little tap with a rubber mallet. Now throw the $19 puller in the trash if you want.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:22 PM
jorswift
Road Captain

I didnt replace my bearings. Seemed to be in good condition. I know others that dont have the tools to remove/replace bearings and their scoots so they opted not too and they are fine.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 PM
JR-Boston
Tourer

I didn't need special tools. I borrowed a blind bearing puller from Autozone (free loaners) to pull the inner cam bearings. I used an old cam to set the new B-148s in place.

The outer cam bearings I pressed in/out with a small arbor press. I got one from Harbor Freight for $49.

You can see more of how I went about it here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...04-flhrci.html

JR

Last edited by JR-Boston; 06-10-2010 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:58 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

I ve never seem an inner bearing fail as long as it was installed properly. Your gonna be there so there is no reason not to. Make sure the number side faces YOU when installing and MAKE SURE the needles turn AFTER install.

You HAVE to replace the outer bearing to change the inner cam chain shoe!

Old 06-10-2010, 04:55 PM
hellmut73
Cruiser

I don't think you need to. those needle bearings are only going to fail in high HP motors where you have flex in the crank. But if you do it, you can heat the outer cam plate in a oven and the old bearings will fall right out. Freeze the new bearings and once the old ones fall out drop in the new ones. No presses needed. They are different metals. I would also agree that you can get a blind puller from a auto parts store for no charge. Freeze the new bearings and they should push right in, might need a tap from a mallet. I think that I saw a thread on this within HD Forums. Try a search.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:00 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 675 Likes on 256 Posts

those needle bearings are only going to fail in high HP motors where you have flex in the crank.

How would that even be a factor? Are you thinking of the crankshaft bearing maybe?

I like to replace any bearing if I'm replacing the shaft that rides in it. Things wear together, and I prefer a fresh start to allow for this. FWIW, YMMV.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:15 PM
cpotts454
Cruiser

Yeah, I should replace them all while I am in there.. But like jamesw said, I like to install new bearings onto new cams, and I plan on replacing all this mess with gears this winter. Replacing the shoes is just a cheaper alternative to keep me riding this summer.

Since I am not installing new cams, and I dont even have a stage 1 kit I am just going to reuse the bearings and save the money until I upgrade later this year. I just wanted to hear a couple guys agree with me to help my guilty (frugal) feelings.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:32 PM
cpotts454
Cruiser

For future reference can someone link me to a place that sells these bearings? Maybe a kit for both inner and outer. Can these be purchased at the dealer ship? If so, whats the part number.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Timken B-148 Inner Cam Bearing