Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good seat for long rides

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:57 AM
WideBoy04
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mustang part# 75877. Found mine slightly used on
ebay, $250. 17" wide saddle with a nice bucket. Does
sit a little higher but is comfy. For the long hauls I add
my butt pad I made from a piece of sheepskin, (has to
be real sheepskin.)

Jim

Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've tried them all. Stock seat, Tallboy, modifed Tallboy with foam and gel, Mustang and Corbin.

The Corbin was the best, but I still got butt burn after 400 miles, even with a sheepskin cover and lycra shorts. I finally ordered a Russell, and I REALLY like it! It sits slightly different, supporting your thighs as well as your butt, but it spreads the weight more evenly. Rode it 450 miles last Saturday in the Texas heat with zero problems. Spent another 10 hours on it Sunday, but stopped more, but still had no problems at all. Never got butt burn or had to stand up at stop lights.

I'm a big guy, 6'3'', 265. I had the Russell built on a Tallboy pan, so it sets me in the right position. It's the best seat by far I've ever had, and if I trade bikes again it will be the first thing I order.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nobody can really just tell you what's a comfortable seat for YOU. Seats are probably the most individual item on the bike. Only you can determine what fits YOU. A great and awesome seat that one guy can ride for 20 straight hours day in and day out can be a torture contraption from hell for the next guy even on a 100 mile jaunt.

Believe it or not (this seems to be rare if you read this forum) my factory seat on my '09 RK fits me perfectly and I can do 600-700 miles a day in it no problem. I just rode to Illiniois from San Diego... 2000 miles each way, so that's about 650 miles for 3 straight days in a row. Never had a single bit of discomfort on that factory seat. Most guys here hate factory seats and go for aftermarket or a factory upgrade. So the point I'm trying to make is a seat just has to be something you try and see if it fits. You may have to try 2 or 3 different seats before you find the "right one" that clicks with you.

Good luck with your search...

Old 06-21-2010, 07:51 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think maybe a driver backrest could help any seat?
They look like a pain in the *** to me... no pun

Old 06-21-2010, 08:16 AM
audettd
Tourer

I owned a Fat Boy before the EGC...it had a stock seat that sucked big time...who puts a metal HD tag right in the middle of your ****??? I swear after 10 minutes you can find a HD tat on my butt. I replaced it with a mustang seat and we road 3K miles on a trip(both the wife and I loved it). ....now not everyone is the same and I researched it big time. You're going to take a chance no matter what.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:13 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizona
Nobody can really just tell you what's a comfortable seat for YOU. Seats are probably the most individual item on the bike. Only you can determine what fits YOU. A great and awesome seat that one guy can ride for 20 straight hours day in and day out can be a torture contraption from hell for the next guy even on a 100 mile jaunt.

Believe it or not (this seems to be rare if you read this forum) my factory seat on my '09 RK fits me perfectly and I can do 600-700 miles a day in it no problem. I just rode to Illiniois from San Diego... 2000 miles each way, so that's about 650 miles for 3 straight days in a row. Never had a single bit of discomfort on that factory seat. Most guys here hate factory seats and go for aftermarket or a factory upgrade. So the point I'm trying to make is a seat just has to be something you try and see if it fits. You may have to try 2 or 3 different seats before you find the "right one" that clicks with you.

Good luck with your search...
I threw the sheepskin on out in New Mexico last year, and never had a uncomfortable moment after that. It was hot and not setting on vinyl was probably the biggest plus! I don't particularly like the looks of the sheepskin, but I love the "feel". The 08 Ultra seat is pretty comfortable IMO. I intend to give Mean City a shot at improving it one of these days, but I'll probably still use the sheepskin on long trips. Cloth, hair or fur is easier to sit on than vinyl or leather IMO.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:17 PM
merkinman
Advanced

I have used a Corbin two up for the last two bikes.It's an inch and a half back further... I love it and looks great

Old 06-21-2010, 03:25 PM
cigarowens
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Comfortable seat

If you are looking for a really comfortable seat check out the seats from Ultimate http://www.ultimateseats.ca . I rode my Fat boy 850 miles in one day with this seat. I have recommended this seat to 5 people now and none have been dissapointed. This is a Canadian company with a store at Destiation Daytona who really do a good job. The seats are not cheap but they are good!

Old 06-21-2010, 04:04 PM
JackD
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought a Sundowner for 2-up! Great seat !!

Old 06-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Andouille
Cruiser

Rode to Sturgis last year (600 mi. day) on the standard Ultra seat. Bought a Mustang at Sturgis and it made the ride back home a lot more comfortable. Maybe others are more comfortable, but the Mustang is fine for me. I'm satisfied and am not looking for anything more.

Quick Reply: Good seat for long rides