Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about tune with CFR's and aftermarket header

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 03:40 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about tune with CFR's and aftermarket header

I'm looking for some real world experience with CFR's and some type of aftermarket header whether it be a true dual, 2-1-2, etc. I'm throwing around the idea of adding the header to my bike, but I'm a little hesitant about the tune since these slip ons are soo wide open. I'm not going to get any motor work done so this would be with a stock stage one motor.

Currently I have an '09 EGS with a 96" stock motor with a PC5, factory 2-1-2 header, CFR's, and K&N filter.

-Anyone have this type of set up?

-Was it hard to tune?

-How's it run?

Looking at either the CFR header or Jaime's 2-1-2.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:57 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

I know not alot of people run cfr's, but damn, not one reply?

Anyone?

Old 06-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 747 Likes on 280 Posts

As you say, you may end up with exhaust reversion. I did with Bassani Headers and 211 cams on a 96. Needless to say, I had to take them off. And yes they are hard to tune. Had a bottom end stumble that could not be tuned out. Its a risky adventure in my opinion from experience. They are best left with a crossover head pipes.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:08 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
I'm looking for some real world experience with CFR's and some type of aftermarket header whether it be a true dual, 2-1-2, etc. I'm throwing around the idea of adding the header to my bike, but I'm a little hesitant about the tune since these slip ons are soo wide open. I'm not going to get any motor work done so this would be with a stock stage one motor.

Currently I have an '09 EGS with a 96" stock motor with a PC5, factory 2-1-2 header, CFR's, and K&N filter.

-Anyone have this type of set up?

-Was it hard to tune?

-How's it run?

Looking at either the CFR header or Jaime's 2-1-2.
That's exactly what I have on my 09 Ultra: SEAC, PC-5, stock headers and CFR slip-ons.
Tuned? Nope, not yet. I'm running a map Jamie sent me.
It runs great but hot, too hot for my passenger's taste, and I don't think it has much to do with tuning.

I'm contemplating true duals, mainly to reduce heat around the horizontal part of the headers, between where they merge and where they split. I'm not interested in any kind of false duals aka "2-1-2" but true duals aka "2-2". The objective is to lower heat on the right side, by better balancing the gasses between right and left and eliminate this frigging crossover pipe which has no heat shield.
I know I'll lose a few HP and low rpm torque with true duals but riding comfort for my passenger is more important to me at this point that perf. Oh and I'll get better sound too which is always desirable, particularly with the CFRs.
Once she's happy and can ride for longer periods, I'll be happy too and I'll take care of perf with a set of good cams next winter.
I haven't looked at the CFR duals. I'll check them out. So far I've looked at BUB and V&H. Not too many people have 2-2 duals on their 09 or 10 models, which doesn't help me decide which one to buy.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 06-30-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 AM
UltraPoppy
Cruiser

I'm contemplating true duals, mainly to reduce heat around the horizontal part of the headers, between where they merge and where they split. I'm not interested in any kind of false duals aka "2-1-2" but true duals aka "2-2". The objective is to lower heat on the right side, by better balancing the gasses between right and left and eliminate this frigging crossover pipe which has no heat shield.
What crossover pipe has no heat sheild? The crossover pipe on the 09/10 models is under the swing arm. Don't think it needs a heat shield. The way the 09/10 exhaust is routed, the majority of the heat is going to be on the right side with 2-1-2 or 2/2 head pipes. With the stock head pipes, they are flowing the exhaust just freely as a two head pipes will. And the heat factor will still be there with two head pipes. The pipes still get hot.
On my 07 the way I removed the heat on the right side is when I took off the stock head pipe from the rear cylinder that ran down the right side to join the front cylinder pipe. Once I put true duals and the rear cylinder pipe curled under seat pan and went out left side. Right side heat was half of what it was with stock pipes. Exhaust pipes get hot, just a fact we have to deal with.

David

Old 06-30-2010, 10:37 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraPoppy
What crossover pipe has no heat sheild? The crossover pipe on the 09/10 models is under the swing arm. Don't think it needs a heat shield. The way the 09/10 exhaust is routed, the majority of the heat is going to be on the right side with 2-1-2 or 2/2 head pipes. With the stock head pipes, they are flowing the exhaust just freely as a two head pipes will. And the heat factor will still be there with two head pipes. The pipes still get hot.
On my 07 the way I removed the heat on the right side is when I took off the stock head pipe from the rear cylinder that ran down the right side to join the front cylinder pipe. Once I put true duals and the rear cylinder pipe curled under seat pan and went out left side. Right side heat was half of what it was with stock pipes. Exhaust pipes get hot, just a fact we have to deal with.

David
David,

How far from the right floorboard do you think the start of the crossover pipe is? I'd say 5" at the most and this portion is not covered by a heat shield. By the way, the whole portion where the 2 pipes merge is poorly covered by the heat shield, and I can see big chunks of pipe there.
If you don't believe me, why don't you come her and put your hand on the right floorboard, right above where the crossover branches out of the right side and you'll tell me how it feels. lol
You can also put your hand at the bottom of the right side cover or even on the top right saddlebag rail and you'll see how hot they are.

Why do you say 2-1-2 or 2-2 will still have the majority of the heat on the right side? If I mount BUB headers for 09 and 10 bikes, the rear header is routed exactly like for the 08 models, along the left side cover. Different design from the V&H Bagger Duals who have both pipes on the right side before one crosses over. Here is a pic.

With one header on each side, we should be much closer to a 50-50 split of the exhaust gasses than a 80-20 split as it's the case now. Less heat on the right side, more heat on the left side but overall, both sides should be tolerable. Today, the left side is not hot at all while the right side is scorching hot. I'd say the situation with the 09 stock headers is pretty much the reverse of what it was with the 08 stock headers. Both friggin' hot, just not the same side.
That's my assumption at this point. I'd like to find someone who has these BUB duals on an 09 to see if they make any difference heat wise.
Take care, bud.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 06-30-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Fewe
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...w-exhaust.html

This is a thread from Brypink regarding the tuning of the CFRs. Hope it helps.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:13 AM
UltraPoppy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
David,

How far from the right floorboard do you think the start of the crossover pipe is? I'd say 5" at the most and this portion is not covered by a heat shield. By the way, the whole portion where the 2 pipes merge is poorly covered by the heat shield, and I can see big chunks of pipe there.
If you don't believe me, why don't you come her and put your hand on the right floorboard, right above where the crossover branches out of the right side and you'll tell me how it feels. lol
You can also put your hand at the bottom of the right side cover or even on the top right saddlebag rail and you'll see how hot they are.

Why do you say 2-1-2 or 2-2 will still have the majority of the heat on the right side? If I mount BUB headers for 09 and 10 bikes, the rear header is routed exactly like for the 08 models, along the left side cover. Different design from the V&H Bagger Duals who have both pipes on the right side before one crosses over. Here is a pic.

With one header on each side, we should be much closer to a 50-50 split of the exhaust gasses than a 80-20 split as it's the case now. Less heat on the right side, more heat on the left side but overall, both sides should be tolerable. Today, the left side is not hot at all while the right side is scorching hot. I'd say the situation with the 09 stock headers is pretty much the reverse of what it was with the 08 stock headers. Both friggin' hot, just not the same side.
That's my assumption at this point. I'd like to find someone who has these BUB duals on an 09 to see if they make any difference heat wise.
Take care, bud.
Ah so your talking about putting the 08 and earlier style true duals on the 09. I saw the Bub true duals for the 09 when they first came out on there web site. I have not seen them on an 09 bike. But couple of questions come to mind. On the 08's and earlier, the left side cover has a recess in it for the left side pipe to mount in close to the side of the bike. The left side pipe running down the left side cover is 2 3/4 inches from the inside edge of the passenger floorboard. So I would think the Bubs pipes for the 09's would have to sit closer to the passenger floorboard to be able to clear the left side cover. So I would think the Bubs true duals for the 09 would sit at least 3/4 to an inch closer to the left passenger floorboard.
You may just swap your passenger heat issue from the right side to the left side from my experience with an 07.

Davdi

Old 07-01-2010, 10:03 AM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the CFR's with their dual headers as well as pcv mapped by fuelmoto.Bike runs fine not too hot at all.I've had this setup now about a yr or more.I did have a stumble when i first got the slipons using the stock headers.I've never tuned so i cant say anything about what results could be,hard to tune is what ive allways heard about these pipes.But my bike is riding fine as is w/o tune.no complaints.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:28 PM
neano62
Tourer

So will I be alrite w/stage 1 download, Scream-N-Eagle Heavy Breather, stock Head pipe, and CFR's? I'm running ReinHarts now, but want some more NOISE! CFR's are freakn Awesome. I'm just leary of the set up I have now,.... and it workn out w/CFR's.

Quick Reply: Questions about tune with CFR's and aftermarket header