Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First tank of 89 octane!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:52 PM
bomtek44
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First tank of 89 octane!!

Hey there,

My wife and I went to Blowing Rock yesterday. Spent the night and came back today. Stopped at a Marathon station about 8 or 10 miles south of Stations Inn off the Parkway. All the 93 octane pumps were out, so we filled up with 89 octane. I didn't see the usual 10% ethanol stickers. Asked my wife to listen for pinging since I'm almost deaf and wear earplugs anyway. Stopped at Station's Inn for a late lunch and came on up the Parkway to Tuggle's Gap and headed up Route 8 to I-81. Got home and filled up......51.4 mpg............that freakin' ETHANOL is killin' us. My other two tanks were 93 octane Shell and BP and mileage was 42.3 and 42.5......and my Sweetie said she didn't hear any pinging. I may have to start searching out Marathons. They may have ethanol and just no pump stickers. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

bomtek44

Old 06-28-2010, 07:06 AM
wonbyone
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never tried this. Always used the highest octane available. I look forward to the experience of others on this subject.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 AM
TheDon81
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes ethonal reduces fuel mileage. Sucks but true personally didn't think it would be ~20%, there are also other bad things ethonal causes to the internal of engines and stuff.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:42 AM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,571 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDon81
Yes ethonal reduces fuel mileage. Sucks but true personally didn't think it would be ~20%, there are also other bad things ethonal causes to the internal of engines and stuff.
Name one?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:50 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bomtek44
Hey there,

My wife and I went to Blowing Rock yesterday. Spent the night and came back today. Stopped at a Marathon station about 8 or 10 miles south of Stations Inn off the Parkway. All the 93 octane pumps were out, so we filled up with 89 octane. I didn't see the usual 10% ethanol stickers. Asked my wife to listen for pinging since I'm almost deaf and wear earplugs anyway. Stopped at Station's Inn for a late lunch and came on up the Parkway to Tuggle's Gap and headed up Route 8 to I-81. Got home and filled up......51.4 mpg............that freakin' ETHANOL is killin' us. My other two tanks were 93 octane Shell and BP and mileage was 42.3 and 42.5......and my Sweetie said she didn't hear any pinging. I may have to start searching out Marathons. They may have ethanol and just no pump stickers. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

bomtek44
51.4 mpg riding duo with 89 gas??? Hmmm ........... That's more than 20% better than with 93. What bike do you have? Year, model, airkit, airfuel etc............ What average speed do you ride?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:52 AM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
Name one?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 3,819 Posts
Default East

Live on the East coast of VA, no choice but 10% ethanol here. From my last 6 years experience with my Harley it has not hurt anything. Reliable reports say a few % reduction in fuel mileage. You cannot go by seat of paints one tank full thing. I can very my bike 8 mpg by easy cruising, stiff head wind or enjoying the roar. The ethanol will absorb a little water and probably is helpful on those rare times that you may pick up a little water. My bike appears to run OK on mid grade but like most just put premium in it. There is not much difference in the btu (power) count of regular or premium. The additive to premium slows the burn rate down so it does not ping (explode) in the higher compression engines. Actually you will get less mpg with premium in a gas engine that does not require it.
Just my opinion

Boomtek44 Nice country up there were you live, have people up there

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-28-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:17 AM
lowflyer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
Name one?
Alcohol burns hotter, bad for air cooled engines. Racing engines using alcohol are jetted much riccher than gas engines. I `d never use 10% ethanol fuel in an airplane engine for fear of overheating or detonation. Won`t use it in a chainsaw either for same reasons. If you would jet accordingly than it would be viable. Example: flex fuel cars are programmed to use ethanol, fuel milage will drop accordingly due to richer mixrure.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:26 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a friend that is a boat mechanic and he says that the Ethanol is causing the rubber lines on the older boat motor to deteriorate and is causing some issues.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 AM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bomtek44
... Got home and filled up......51.4 mpg............that freakin' ETHANOL is killin' us. My other two tanks were 93 octane Shell and BP and mileage was 42.3 and 42.5.....
A 1 tank fill up wont give you an accurate figure. There's no way you're gonna fill that tank to exactly the same level each time you fill up.. so you have to average it out over many fill ups.. the more fill ups in the average, the more accurate the figure.

Quick Reply: First tank of 89 octane!!