Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, clicking noise driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:07 PM
StreetGliderRider
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help, clicking noise driving me crazy

I started getting a clicking noise r/r of my '07 SG. It happens after several miles and it doesn't matter if the bike is running or not. First thing I checked were the wheel bearing, removed wheel no problem with bearings. The noise is a ramdon click another words it is not a steady rhythm. Sprocket and bolts ok, rotor and bolts ok, brake caliper and pads ok. I also hear it when I jack it up after a ride, so it also happens with no weight on it. Please help any feed back is greatly appreciated and thanks in advanced.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:38 PM
fladawg01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking

You state even when the bike is not running, are you saying standing still th bike makes the clicking noise? Or are you stating while rolling it, it makes the clicking noise?

After riding and sitting cooling down they all make the clicking noise as things cool down and the metal contracts.

Try jacking it up, and spin the wheel while sitting right next to it, motor off. If you can't identify the exact location have someone else try the same thing. Could be a loose weight, even if they're glued on, one might be somewhat loose. Otherwise I have no clue.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:55 PM
StreetGliderRider
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My bad, clicking noise happens when the bike is rolling forward or backward. Should had specified it's not the noise the bike makes when cooling down.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:32 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's the fuel tank vent tube rubbing the inside of the drive belt. I had that happen to my '09 Ultra Classic. The vent tube is suppose to be behind the swingarm pivot.