Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK to use nitrogen in the bikes tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OK to use nitrogen in the bikes tires?

Just bought a new 2010 Seirra. It's got nitrogen in the tires. It sounds like a good enough ideathat I'd like to do it to the bike tires. Is that safe or am I missing something?

Old 07-16-2010, 07:09 PM
hodgeaaco
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My FLTRX came from the dealer that way.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:09 PM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master

My buddy swears his SG rides like a totally different bike after nitrogen. He says he thinks it handles better and it rides smoother.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:12 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I have wondered the same thing, just got new tires on the wifes Grand Prix at Costco and they put Nitrogen in them. I know why it works better, (working on aircraft and all,,,) I may have to find a place that will do it for my SG too....

Old 07-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Nabubba
Road Master

It is safe. Nascar teams have been using it for years.

Nitrogen doesn't expand and contract like compressor air does with changes in the temperature. That is what one of the crew chiefs told me. He said they circumference of the tire stayed the same which allowed for better tire wear.

So it should be the same with everyday tires.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do it but in my opinion (for whatever you think that's worth), it isn't worth the extra expense or trouble.

Some applications such as aircraft or racing vehicles use nitrogen because it performs better than regular air. It supposedly does not change pressure as much when heated or cooled. Someone on here with aircraft experience can probably give you a better explanation.

The air you breath is about 78% nitrogen (I think). Is it worth the extra trouble and expense for that last 22%?

Are you planning to keep a bottle of nitrogen in your garage to replenish your tires or going to go back to the dealer and give them $$ every time your tires are low?

The other theory is that it does not leak through the tire as easily as regular air. I have not verified that myself or seen any studies that say it is or is not better. To me it's another way for dealers to jack up the price of their service like fabric protectors and $500 wax jobs that aren't any better than something you could do yourself.

If it makes you feel better, go for it. For me, it isn't worth the trouble or the expense.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:19 PM
hodgeaaco
Tourer

Try your local dealer. Like I said before, mine came that way from the dealer and even have specially marked stem caps that say N2.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:24 PM
XRider
Cruiser

Won't hurt anything except your wallet. Consumer's Report or the like did an article saying it was not beneficial.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:55 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 636 Likes on 507 Posts

consumer reports did a big write up on nitrogen in car tire they concluded that the very small pro"s did not warentt the cost.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:30 PM
heavyhitter01
Cruiser
Default just my $0.02

I don't see any benefit to it from what I know of it. I have even tried it because it was free to try out. (I work for a commercial airline as a mechanic). It made no difference that I could tell in my truck or my bike.

They are used in aircraft tires because of moisture. I understand that is the same reason in race applications. Has nothing to with performance for sure with heavy aircraft. If they used shop air in commercial aircraft tires and went to altitude the tires could burst from the moisture from the shop air where as nitrogen is moisture free.

Quick Reply: OK to use nitrogen in the bikes tires?