Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Harley like wine. Gets better as it ages?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:52 PM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is Harley like wine. Gets better as it ages?

I know, I know. Dumb question, but someone has to ask it. The question is, within
a reasonable time of usage ( say below 100k miles). Does the bike get better?. I mean in the beguining you have a few issues and bugs that you correct and then as you ride towards the high milage the bike is pretty stable problem wise. OR, is it the other way?, as the bike gets older, you have more and more problems ( keep in mind under 100k). What has your experience been?

Old 07-20-2010, 02:57 PM
KingEvan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have heard people speak of harley engines "loosening up" (in a good way) after 20k miles or so, i have no idea what this means nor expierianced it either.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:17 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

Common with all man made items. Manufacturing defects and bad engineering tend to fail early (very low miles). Then everything goes good until parts start reaching their expected life.
Think of it like life. If you survive infancy you stand a good chance of reaching retirement age. From there on your odds of making another year keep getting slimmer.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:21 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c50plus
I know, I know. Dumb question, but someone has to ask it. The question is, within
a reasonable time of usage ( say below 100k miles). Does the bike get better?. I mean in the beguining you have a few issues and bugs that you correct and then as you ride towards the high milage the bike is pretty stable problem wise. OR, is it the other way?, as the bike gets older, you have more and more problems ( keep in mind under 100k). What has your experience been?

probably what you mean is you get to know your bike really well and know pretty much what to expect you start to become one with your older well cared for bike.like your dog that is always there and when somthig just isn't right you can sense it.did that make sense
?

Old 07-20-2010, 04:36 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

My bike loosened up a lot after 800 miles. The bike just seem to like going after that mileage. It feels a looser now at 10000 miles, but nothing like the difference I felt at 800 miles. However, I can't imagine that it gets better from here on out. It doesn't burn or leak any oil, it sounds pretty good for a Harley. It's broke in now and wear is wear, so I wouldn't say it get better. Still, I do expect it to be worth more than I paid 50 years from now. I guess that part is better.

Beary

Old 07-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 57 Posts

Some wine gets $hitty over time !

Old 07-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Wine only gets better with age if you don't drink it. I don't know how that works with Harleys. My '08 rides the same as it did 28,000 miles ago, but it does get better mileage than it did when new.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:36 PM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know mine has definintly gotten better with age. I finally have things adjusted and tuned and upgraded to my standards. Only have 50k on it but don't think I would trade it for a new one knowing what it took to get this one where I like it, not so much money but time and experimenting with it.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:04 AM
2nd Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my bike longer than most.
It's a '96 with a meager 30K.

I had a few issues in the early days(cam bearing,clutch,etc,)

I think(hope) that she's done cutting her teeth!

The last 20K have been un-eventful in the repair department!

The loss of a cam bearing gave me a stage two cam,air cleaner,bigger injectors,and a new oil pump!

I've done a few other mods to make it fit me better.

It starts on the first click,doesn't get hot,and runs like it's on a mission to get somewhere FAST!!

I've been tempted to buy a new one but hate to go through the same teething stage when the one I have runs so good!!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:19 AM
flyer91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know about better, but a Harley certainly gets more expensive ....... for both an owner and (if long enough) a buyer .....

Quick Reply: Is Harley like wine. Gets better as it ages?