Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever dropped the Ultra all the way over?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:25 PM
bradrosewood
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever dropped the Ultra all the way over?

Pulled into the Dealers Service shop excited to get my bike dyno'd. Straight up 9:00 AM. Half a dozen other bikes pulled up a the same time all ready for service. My problem I flipped out the kickstand and laid her over. Unfortenately, kick stand didn't stay out. Caught the bike screamed for help and got it back upright. Huge bruise on my leg and ego. All well she sure runs well after the tuneup.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:30 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dumped my SG last year with a detachable King Tour Pak, fully loaded, In the Great Smoky Mountains NP. I wasn't lucky enough to catch mine. I tried turning around and was on too much of an incline and just couldn't hold it.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:35 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes.

This spring, I traded my 02 Ultra in on a 2010.

On the OLD bike, a flick of the stand was all that was needed, to swing it all the way down. I found out the hard way that the NEW one needs to be pushed All The Way Down.

Dumped it over in a Kwik Shop lot.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:38 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,024 Posts

More than once!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:44 PM
Conehead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dropped it on the right side got excited jerked it up too hard and over on the left side she went, Glad I had the bag guards on!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:49 PM
clutchglass
Road Master

Brad,
And there I was (every good war story starts out like that!) The day I got my 09 Ultra last year, I pulled into the driveway after giving my daughter a ride. I was jostling the bike back and forth by foot to get it turned around. That's when I discovered a terrible inconvenience for me. The passenger footboards when down catch me right in the calves unless I widen my foot stance quite a bit. The left side passenger footboard whacked my left calf...and I lost my footing....went all the way over...the primary crushed my left ankle and pinned me under the bike. My daughter got off without a scratch thankfully. I told her to run in the house and get mom! Neither of my sons were home, and the wife couldn't pick it up. She asked me if she should call someone...when something my dad once told me (sadly he's passed away) rang true. He said, "Son, don't ever ride anything you can't pick up yourself.". The wife helped me get it up enough to get my foot out. Then...even with what turned out to be a BAD sprain...I got my 889lbs scoot up and on the kick stand. Somewhere up there I know dad was looking down laughing. The REAL LUCKY part was I never got so much as a small scratch on my scooter!!!
You need to get in the habit of ALWAYS keeping your foot set on that jiffy stand (That's what the little upright chrome piece is for) until she is setting completely and firmly down. Also, if you got a "coaster" with your scooter...drill a small hole in it, and tie a piece of string to it long enough to loop around your left handlebar grip. That way...if you have to make an exit from a situation where you had your coaster down by yourself...you can retrieve your coaster Ride safe
-clutch-

Old 07-20-2010, 10:49 PM
MEGALifted
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Conehead
Dropped it on the right side got excited jerked it up too hard and over on the left side she went, Glad I had the bag guards on!
Wow, easy there Mr Olympia.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:01 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dumped my SG over on the engine guard. I stopped to take a pic of something and flipped down the stand. Just as it "thunked" back up, a big truck went by and I didn't hear it come back up. I was surprised that it just gently sat over on the engine guard as if it was on the stand. I grabbed and pulled it back up, put it on the stand and then looked all around to see if anyone had been watching. Two old men on a porch across the street were sitting there laughing their a$$es off.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:36 PM
2nd Mike
Tourer

I had mine go WAY over!

I thought I was about to get hit by a tornado so I pulled over to jump in a ditch!

For the record,never park your bike with the kick stand into the wind!!

She blew over into a 45 degree ditch,handlebar down!

After the storm passed,I almost managed to get it upright but the crash bars hit and wouldn't allow me to get to the balance point(straight up)!

I was by myself and at that point was about to give up and let it fall back down(I was used up!) when a car stopped.
A guy and his girlfriend ran down the incline to help and we drug it back up to the road!

I'm thankful that I was in "farm country"!

Never underestimate the strength of a couple of farm boys and a farm girl

Old 07-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The only time I ever dropped mine (twice), was sitting in my own garage trying to get it up on the center stand, while straddling the bike.

It only took me twice to learn to get off the damn bike before I put it up on the Wheeldock.

Quick Reply: Ever dropped the Ultra all the way over?