Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, so what are the rules regarding patch placement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 04:11 PM
MAJ Ethanolic
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ORradtech
If I may answer.
I'm not a veteran but regularly ride and hang out with a Florida CVMA chapter and many of those guys, and gals, wear various patches relating to their service. I've seen rank patches, pilot wings, unit patches and campaign patches to name a few and not a poser among them.
As a side note, if you're a combat vet and would like to ride with people of similar background and experience I cannot reccomend contacting a local CVMA chapter highly enough. They are some of the finest people I know and do wonderful things for other vets.
I've thought about doing that - my problem is that the clubs generally require you to participate and in my situation (a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old) I can't make meetings.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:36 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Just a thought about flag patches:

From the US Flag Code 4 U.S.C. Section 8 —

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations.

The following users liked this post:
BBM (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 02:08 AM
BBM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 582 Likes on 470 Posts

I put my patches on eBay.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:35 PM
oldsoldier181
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 12,651 Likes on 4,354 Posts

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch
Just a thought about flag patches:

From the US Flag Code 4 U.S.C. Section 8 —

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations.
To go over this:
This means that one cannot take an actual flag, and use it as such. Nor should it be used for anything other than being a flag.
A jacket with a flag representation, or a napkin, or underwear with the PRINT OF the flag, doesnt count. This refers to the actual use of the flag as anything other than the flag.

The following users liked this post:
Sarge1400 (04-24-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 04:48 PM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

Hey, Lets get into the U.S. Flag Code further. It says "The US Flag shall always be to the Speakers Right."

So where should it be on the back of your motorcycle? If you leave it on the right that means you are speaking sitting down. To be in accordance with The US Flag Code the Flag should be placed on the LEFT side of the bike, since the only way you can speak properly is to stand behind your bike with the flag, to your right.

Chew on that for a while!!!

Old 02-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Timberwolf2017
Road Captain
Received 251 Likes on 158 Posts

My 2 cents. As long as the top rocker has no MC affiliation and the bottom rocker has no location(territory), you should be ok

Old 02-06-2018, 05:56 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Noisy Cricket
Hey, Lets get into the U.S. Flag Code further. It says "The US Flag shall always be to the Speakers Right."

So where should it be on the back of your motorcycle? If you leave it on the right that means you are speaking sitting down. To be in accordance with The US Flag Code the Flag should be placed on the LEFT side of the bike, since the only way you can speak properly is to stand behind your bike with the flag, to your right.

Chew on that for a while!!!
I am chewin, what if you point the bike the opposite direction? Who says you have to be standing to be a Speaker? Where is the flag when the President speaks? If you stand in front or sit on your bike the placement is to the right, AFAIK

Old 02-07-2018, 12:26 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 407 Likes on 186 Posts

How to Display the American Flag on a Motorcycle

Do:
• Mount a single flag standing straight up either a) on the center of the rear fender or b) on the driver’s right side.
• If two or more flags are angled, always angle them out to the same degree.
• Mount two flags on a rear fender leaning out at the same angle, with the cloths parallel to each other facing to the rear of the motorcycle.
Don’t:
• Mount the flag on the driver’s left side.
• Fly the flag at half-staff.
• Fly any other flag higher than the American flag.
• Fly any other flag larger than the American flag. (Flags of equal size are acceptable.)

Old 02-07-2018, 11:46 AM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by oldsoldier181
To go over this:
This means that one cannot take an actual flag, and use it as such. Nor should it be used for anything other than being a flag.
A jacket with a flag representation, or a napkin, or underwear with the PRINT OF the flag, doesnt count. This refers to the actual use of the flag as anything other than the flag.
Do you have any authority for your statement that a print of the flag doesn't count as a flag? If so, I would love to see it. The information I have found indicates if it looks like a flag, it is a flag. Since I learned that I've stopped buying those flag shirts at Old Nav -- much to the chagrin of my wife.

Support for this is found in the fact that a flag patch affixed to the uniform of military or patriotic organizations (such as the Boy Scouts) is an exception to the prohibition against wearing any part of the flag.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:56 AM
Noisy Cricket
Road Warrior
Received 366 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by White Ice
How to Display the American Flag on a Motorcycle

Do:
• Mount a single flag standing straight up either a) on the center of the rear fender or b) on the driver’s right side.
• If two or more flags are angled, always angle them out to the same degree.
• Mount two flags on a rear fender leaning out at the same angle, with the cloths parallel to each other facing to the rear of the motorcycle.
Don’t:
• Mount the flag on the driver’s left side.
• Fly the flag at half-staff.
• Fly any other flag higher than the American flag.
• Fly any other flag larger than the American flag. (Flags of equal size are acceptable.)
Looks official. If your commenting on my post, my point is that few people even know there IS a Flag code, much less follow it. For instance, as per the code, only the President can call for the lowering of the US Flag to Half Mast, and yet that is never followed. Read the code and quote the section that talks about vehicles. Just because someone makes some **** up and puts it down on paper doesn't mean it is real...

Quick Reply: OK, so what are the rules regarding patch placement?