Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

on sepst what is active exhaust enable

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:38 AM
gonzostreetglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I confirm that in Europe, our Touring models have an exhaust flap, with what could be called " active exhaust control " : the electrically controlled flap is closed after 2500 rpm.
It can be shut off with a few clicks on the dealer workshop computer.
I suppose you can do the same on the SEPST, so ignore it.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Active exhaust is only on the European models. If you don't have a European HD model, the active exhuast field in the SEPST is irrelevant.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:19 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default tried it

left it set to disable. bike doesnt seem to start any better which from other postys I have read is kind of a normal problem for the 255 cams. I'll make a few smart tune runs and see if this program pulls any better than the first one I LISTED. my ve values did increase in boxes, not as many as i would have liked but it is kind of hard to hit all the throttle ranges driving on the road without killing yourself

Old 08-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Heatwave
Received 1,077 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by 2009blackpearle
left it set to disable. bike doesnt seem to start any better which from other postys I have read is kind of a normal problem for the 255 cams. I'll make a few smart tune runs and see if this program pulls any better than the first one I LISTED. my ve values did increase in boxes, not as many as i would have liked but it is kind of hard to hit all the throttle ranges driving on the road without killing yourself

You'll get data for the maximum # of VE cells by maintaining a constant speed and shifting through as many gears as possible (without lugging). Then move to a different speed and do the same shifting through the gears. I believe the software needs a minimum of 6-10 secs in each cell in order to capture emough data for Smarttune to make a recommended change in the VE value for that cell.

After you get beyond the limitations of the O2 sensors (around 4000 rpms), Smarttune will no longer make VE table change recommendations. For these higher rpm cells, you'll need to use a dyno with exhaust sniffer OR check your data runs for knock (knock sensor ON) in both the front and rear cylinders. If knock is showing up in the data runs, then you'll need to increase the VE value for that area of the map or perhaps lower the spark advance.

Don't forget to turn off the knock sensor for the next data run for making Smarttune adjustments. If you leave the knock sensors on and then try to use Smarttune, you'll be "fighting" the map all the way.

Best approach.....
  • Turn of the knock sensors.
  • Do a data run
  • Use Smarttune to make VE adjustments
  • Repeat as many times as you can
  • Turn knock sensor ON
  • Do a data run
  • Check for knock in the data run
  • If there's knock in the data run above 4krpms, go back into the map and try raising the VE for the cylinder, rpm and load area of the map.
  • If there's knock but it's below 4k rpms, then you just need to make more data runs with the knock sensor off and let Smarttune eliminate the knock.
  • After a number of data runs with Smarttune, you can go back in and turn the knock sensor ON, followed by a data run and see if Smarttune eliminated the knock. In most cases below 4krpms, it will eliminate the knock if you've collected enough data and used Smarttune.