Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Rain Gear Works Well?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 09:40 PM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear an Aerostitch Darien, pants and jacket. When it starts raining I don't bat an eye... just flip down the face shield, tighten the jacket collar, and carry on.
It's expensive, but it's very high quality, built to last, and made in the USA.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:07 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the HD Gore-Tex two piece rain suit and love it. Have ridden all day in the rain with it and stay completely dry. I'm a huge fan of Gore-Tex.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:48 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought two black rain suits off some motorcycle web site for 39.99, that may have been my wife's, mine may have been 49.99 since it was and XL. They are now 5 years old. Used it this year. Rained on us as we went up the highest paved road in America (Evans Mtn. in CO); rain and sleeted going over Bear Tooth Pass. (three weeks ago) Rain suits still kept both of us completely dry. I guess you can pay way more, but dry is dry! (Think I will replace mine with Frogg Toggs when the time comes)

Old 08-22-2010, 04:44 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Hd packable. Has kept me dry for hours on end. More than once!

Old 08-22-2010, 04:55 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's nothing about trying to be stylish in the rain. Frogg Toggs may not be purdy but they work well.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:01 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by petemac
I have the HD Gore-Tex two piece rain suit and love it. Have ridden all day in the rain with it and stay completely dry. I'm a huge fan of Gore-Tex.
+1, or 2, or whatever.
They are a little spendy and bulky, but.......
You just can't beat Gore-tex for keeping your butt dry!!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:23 AM
steelhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Harley Hi-Vis and my wife the HD Lite-Packable. Both keep us dry. Hers takes up 1/3 of the space. There is no doubt mine is more durable though. If space is not an issue, I like the Hi-Vis.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:41 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had a tourmaster set for about 7 years and it is great. Keeps me dry and breaths well. Packs small. Several friends have HD high vis and they really like it also.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:51 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Nelson Rigg has worked well for me, except I did leave a little on the exhaust on the last trip. That was a first for the Nelson Rigg rainsuit. Will probably get a gore-tex suit at some time.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the H-D Overpass. It works well to keep me dry in heavier rain. In lighter rain I tend to grease up my leathers before the trip and just wear them because its a PITA to wear the rain suit all day long, and it seems that I'm in and out of light showers off and on throughout the day. I do wear the Overpass as a windproof outer layer in really cold weather, and it easily adds another 20 degrees of protection against the cold.

The H-D gore-tex would likely perform better, but I couldn't go the extra bucks at the time. As things have turned out, depending on the weather my leathers are often damp anyway by the time I don raingear, and as seldom as I wear it I think the Overpass is a good rainsuit for the cost. This is the one I have:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

If you haven't purchased yet, the last 2 downpours I've gotten caught in were incredibly dark, and it was raining so hard and vis was so poor that I was concerned that if I slowed down the guy coming up fast behind me would not be able to see the bike through the rain. The Hi-Vis rain suits would likely be a safer bet, although I find it interesting that neither of the Hi-Vis suits on the H-D website come in Gore-Tex.

Quick Reply: What Rain Gear Works Well?